Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Light Challenge: Telvehr

Guild Expert

Thanks Abu I really appreciate the kind words.

I am definitely struggling to keep the forests from outshining the mountains and now that I’ve started shading them I’m wishing I had of done a more subtle tree style like I normally do but it’s too late to change them. At this moment the trees are definitely overshadowing the mountains, I’m trying to find a way to tone them down but I’m not having much luck, I think there just way too bobly, if that makes any sense.

This is looking really great, Kacey

Keep at it

Guild Apprentice

Yeah.... I can see what you mean. If you shaded them white and added a drop shadow, they would become clouds. Still they look great.

This is really shaping up to be a fine entry! Love all of the soft hilights and shadows along the coastling and borders. Great composition over all. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is looking really great, Kacey

Keep at it
    Thanks Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by kenan View Post
    Yeah.... I can see what you mean. If you shaded them white and added a drop shadow, they would become clouds. Still they look great.
    I thought the same thing about the clouds, I'll definitely do things differently next time I try this style of trees but it's good though because I've learned allot this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is really shaping up to be a fine entry! Love all of the soft hilights and shadows along the coastling and borders. Great composition over all. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you arsheesh, I appreciate the compliment on the coast, I put allot of time into it and wasn't sure if it was even noticeable.

Guild Expert

The mountains are done!

I'm still not happy with the trees, I'm trying to figure out the shadows but when I add much more then this they become very bubbly and completely swallow up the mountains. I'm not sure I'll do much more to them, I think I just need to let them rest for a few days before I decide so I'm going to move on to labeling for now.

Let me know what you think... Was it a mistake to add a grey tone to the mountains? Are the highlights too bright? And is there anything you might suggest I can do to save these trees?

light challenge mnts.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow. WOW! You just keep getting better and better, every map you do.

Oh I think I see the problem here...

The trees are fine, the mountains excellent - everything's looking really great, and anyone else would be sitting there with a huge pleased grin on their face if they had drawn such a fine map... its just that you seem to see imperfections where there aren't any at all.

I assure you, Kacey, that I've seen more flaws in a fresh new piece of white paper than there ever were in this map

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Lovely mountains, and I really dig the way you used a highlight to emphasize the shores.

Excellent progress!

As to the trees, have you added the shading yet? I think that would make a big difference. A bit of shading and some slight cast shadows would go a long way toward making those forests come to life.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast