Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Azanulbizar

Guild Artisan

Almost done. Still a few glitches I'd like to correct. Also a few shadings are still missing.
    I hope I will still get a little time tomorrow and that the challenge closes rather in the evening than in the morning.
    Anyway here is the last WIP - I think that I caught the spirit of the Durin's story which was central to my creation.
    All comments and criticism more than welcome.

### LATEST WIP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great Deadshade, the stone tower is cool.

Guild Artisan

OK i messed something up by wanting to edit the post and another image added. The right one is last but I hope I will have still time tomorrow to make a proper finished version.

Hey Deadshade - just make sure to post an image again with the wip tag so it shows the right image for voting.
    I had some trouble with something similar in the past as well.

I know this might sound a bit insane but....would it be worth trying for a more 'dramatic' sky? Something with dark and broody clouds?

As beautifully as the mountains are rendered, the union between the mountains and lake looks too stark and pixelly on the right and too soft and pixel soup on the left. Maybe some reflections in the lake of the mountains? Oh, and maybe make the lake the same colour as the sky (water reflects the colour of the sky) and give the sense of depth having some overlaid transparencies to it.

Just throwing out ideas. I do just love the mountains though. Incredible.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I know this might sound a bit insane but....would it be worth trying for a more 'dramatic' sky? Something with dark and broody clouds?

As beautifully as the mountains are rendered, the union between the mountains and lake looks too stark and pixelly on the right and too soft and pixel soup on the left. Maybe some reflections in the lake of the mountains? Oh, and maybe make the lake the same colour as the sky (water reflects the colour of the sky) and give the sense of depth having some overlaid transparencies to it.

Just throwing out ideas. I do just love the mountains though. Incredible.
    It isn't insane at all Ravells.
    I actually thought about these issues especially the reflections. Notably because Dimrill Dale (this is how Men call the lake) clearly suggests "dim rills" and there is the idea of Something brooding and dark.
    Unfortunately time is here the key - and as I mostly focused on what is the soul of the map (the 3 giants and the waterfall), I simply had not enough time to dedicate to the lake so went for a classic treatment with only a hint of dark and strong transition on the right and a softer transition on the left.
    But you caught me read handed, thanks for your clairvoyance

If the challenge closes this evening and I have still a few hours, I will make the sky more threatening (this is easier) and look for a darker color palet for the lake.
    Reflections are difficult because the sun being in the East, the steep cliffs right are so high that their reflection and shadow should cover at least 3/4 of the lake and I fear a too strong contrast for the overall composition. I'd do it with a brush but doing it with a mouse is not easy.

Guild Artisan

You have broken my natural laziness Ravells so I did a new version with a threatening sky. Thanks to force me in it.
    One is not aware of such things untill one does it but you were right - it gives a much better threatening , brooding atmosphere (I had also to redo the color balance to avoid clashing between the darker sky and the lighter mountains).
    However now I simply have to redo the lake because it really looks lazy with this sky - hope I get Something done before closure .

Anyway here it goes.

Azanulbizar-WIP.jpg

### LATEST WIP ###

Great work Deadshade! Ravell's good counsels were just right. you still have a small portion a bit pixellated close to the waterfall.
    And I like the buildings, but somehow, I would be glad to see the same sharpness that you have on the stairs for example. I know, I'm pushing... but it's such a good map!

Guild Artisan

I did all I could. The lake is redone but it'd still need some work - the reflection is just what one can do in this limited time.
    I also agree Ilanthar - but this kind of work doesn't allow for big zooms. If I wanted that all details can be seen at a scale, say 10 pixels, I would have to draw them at this scale too (or bigger and then reduce the size). I did it for some elements which are easy.
    Unfortunately the sketch of the tower I did was about 800x800 and it would have been a whole work in itself to do all the details when in the final it would occupy just a few pixels.
    So I drew the Fundamentals (especially shadow/light) and then just reduced it to the small size it has in the map.

We all know that - when one holds a good idea and a good inspiration, there would be no end to improvement and we'd never finish Without the sting of Ravells about some issues I knew about but hoped to sweep Under the rug, I'd probably have left it as it was. Again thanks for the whip Ravells, it was deserved.

So here is the final :

Azanubilzar-final.png

### LATEST WIP ###

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast