Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Ostrom (commission for Leopardi)

I agree with all the other commentators, this is lovely. I especially like the look of the rivers.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Why have I not seen this before it's awesome. I wish I had, since you solved many of the problems I run into on the painterly style maps I try, in a manner which I really like. Ah too late now. I think your clients patience is paying off though.

As for the border lines on the mountains.. eh.. I'm like mouse I also originally thought it was just an illuminated ridge line. Not sure how to solve that issue. The circular dots were also an issue. perhaps just do the two coloured shades on either side of the border and avoid a hard line of any sort altogether?

The idea of Ilanthar is the good one in my opinion. I did something similar in my Themystra thread if you want to see what it can look like.

I agree with the former comments on the borders. The mountains are just too beautiful to cover up. Using something like ThomasR mentioned on Themystra would work wonderfully here, in my opinion.

Also, I don't mean to go off topic, but ThomasR, your Themystra map has a lovely interpretation of river tributaries flowing through forests. I've been looking for something along that style as a reference for a long time.

Just a quick 2cents... I second Ilanthar's suggestion, don't stress the country borders in the mountains at all (or even on the rivers)

Another solution we've seen around here quite a number of times is a string of dots for borders. This could maybe work better than a solid line.

Also, while normally borders using rivers are defined as in the middle of actual river, it's common and easier to draw them on one side of the river, for clarity.

It ended up being 6 cents... hope it helps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I personally don't mind the white lines, but... I don't care for the way they slavishly follow every mountain peak, unless those are actually each supposed to be real mountain peaks, and not just painterly representations of a mountain range, if you get what I mean.

Lovely map , first time I see hills made like those ... very nice ... though I think the woodlands do not match the quality of the mountains , they seem rather spotty regions ... also I would avoid the white lines and use more visible and clear borders ...

I asked for feedback and I received it. Thank you all, very much

It seems that the border is the one thing that doesn't quite work right now, and the border on the mountains and rivers specifically. The rest is fine (Naima, I actually agree with you about the forests: I have never been quite pleased with how they look, but I haven't been able to find a pleasing alternative).

I think I'll take Ilanthar's suggestion and remove the border from the mountains altogether (and maybe also the rivers).

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll get an update up here in the not too distant future

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Perhaps try to break the spont into more dotted crispier look?

Phenomenal wrok indeed Wingshaw. it reminds me a bit of Viking maps. Really love the it.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast