Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Land of a Thousand Falls

This just keeps getting better and better. Love the compasquid!!
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I don't see a difference, but don't mind me, it's not so important : the map is gorgeous and the towns and villages are so nice !

I also love the squid compass! This looks really great the city icons look nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I attempted removing the brighter edge but it didn't work well super well so instead I did what I could to lower the bright so as not to overwhelm the eye. Hopefully that's better.

I also painted up a squid and used that as a compass rose of sorts. Not sure if I want to keep it but there it is for now. It was fun putting it together anyway.

### Latest WIP ###
    Getting just better and better, the little town icons are very cool and diverse. Its looking more and more like a true painting to hang on a wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Its looking more and more like a true painting to hang on a wall!
    Thanks Naima, I do think about that when I stop working on stuff and take a step back..."how would this look as a picture on a wall?". So you mentioning it means I'm at least going in the direction I keep aiming for.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've put some labels in. Basically placeholders for now. I expect to get some names from Ramah at any second but these are easily altered.

Labels drive me crazy. I'm never satisfied.

I translated "1000 falls" into Irish and used that for the main land. I didn't like anywhere I put it on the land itself so I put it on the frame. If we do decide we have to have it on the land then I may need to change the font for Evarlan so they continue to match.

Oh, and I added a series of forts along the Western border because security is important. If I feel inspired I may put more mines into the cliffs here and there.
    Also, a pair of dark towers in Evarlan.

My time is about to get cramped due to travel so I may glance at this over the next few days and if something bugs me or I decide I just have to do more I probably will, but otherwise this is about done.

The only other question I have is if I want to submit a slightly larger version. 100% shows a lot more brush strokes but 50% (which is what this is) almost makes me want more...which is not a bad thing

Ramah, of course, can have the full 100% version if he likes to do with as he will.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-04-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

The labels works well Jaxilon. This is really a fascinating map!

Cheers,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    This just keeps getting better and better. Love the compasquid!!
    I love that you called it "compasquid" <-- perfect

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I don't see a difference, but don't mind me, it's not so important : the map is gorgeous and the towns and villages are so nice !
    At least we tried. I did notice the bright bloom in the original and toned it down a shade so as not to hurt. I'm pleased you like the look of my villages and towns. They are pretty much just painted with a square brush, sharpened and then trimmed for shape so not too bad (although if I'm honest my tendency to get sucked into detail means I spend more time on them than I should).

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I also love the squid compass! This looks really great the city icons look nice too.
    Cool and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    The labels works well Jaxilon. This is really a fascinating map!

Cheers,
    Karl
    Appreciate the thumbs up on the labels. As I said, it's my constant struggle to not blow a map by terrible labels. I'm certainly better than I was when I started years ago but I don't classify myself as an expert yet.

I noticed the last map was pretty dark and that has mostly to do with the final tweaks and a layer mask. I've adjusted these a bit and added a bunch of shading into the mask to add a bit more shape to the land itself as well as the forests. Hopefully this is a little better. That's my couple of hours before work so I'm off to pay the bills now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's really, really good to see your work again Jax. I love the brilliant colors of this piece, and that texture you've got going on the sea is pretty cool. I'm also just going to echo everyone's praise about that squidcompass. Brilliant! Nice work indeed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    It's really, really good to see your work again Jax. I love the brilliant colors of this piece, and that texture you've got going on the sea is pretty cool. I'm also just going to echo everyone's praise about that squidcompass. Brilliant! Nice work indeed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh! Hope to see you around more as well. I'm going to be travelling for about a month starting in a couple days but after that should be back to a bit more regular myself.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast