Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ostwyc, the Lion City

Amazing work. Great addition to the south, too. Really exciting seeing this develop

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Okay! Some small amount of work done over the weekend!

I'm still between assignments for that commission, so there's some free time for me, but I'm also in the middle of extensive baby preparations (the little one should be arriving early August), some pretty large-scale changes to the outside of our house, AND preparations for our bathroom to be ripped out, some walls to be moved and a new bathroom to be put in... So yeah, kinda busy!

Still, I got some mapping done too. This is where I'm at now:

Ostwyc_25.jpg

I added another village, and did some work on the fairground on the overlooking bluff. Still tons and tons of stuff to add though.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Alright, I'm sloooowly closing in on the finish line here. Still got tons of tiny tweaks to do (will list them below), but the rough outline is starting to emerge here.

As you can see I
    • added another crapton of trees;
    • tweaked the massive circus tent so it looks more "taut";
    • added a bunch of canvas market tents just west of it;
    • added two streams in the east,
    • a road crossing it,
    • and a tower and a guard house on one of the new bridges;
    • and finally I added a bunch of fields edged with poplar trees.

Ostwyc_26.jpg

Still to come:
    • finish the fairground with covered wagons (to the south of the circus tent) and something (playground? petting zoo?) to the north;
    • throw in a whole lot of white longish dots to act as sheep grazing the pastures;
    • plonk in a bunch of bronze roofs (they seem to have disappeared from the current version!);
    • finish the massive fort in the southern wall;
    • add some shading finishing touches;
    • add a frame border to the map;
    • start labeling the place;
    • add a legend;
    • add a title;
    • add a scale;
    • and maybe some ornamental bits (although the map is quite busy already, so I might drop that idea).

Any thoughts on the progress?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Feilds don't seem like they should be but I always found them kind of a lot of work (maybe because it feels like they shouldn't be, so any work feels like a lot?). Anyways those ones look great. Following this map is a bit like playing Where's Waldo, trying to figure out all the changes from one to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Following this map is a bit like playing Where's Waldo, trying to figure out all the changes from one to another.
    It's fun, right? I have come to use my browser as the image viewer of choice especially for this "find the difference" game. And it's easy too! Just open two versions of the same map in two separate tabs (by middle-clicking on them), zoom in on both without moving your mouse and alt-tab like a madman. I largely prefer this workaround over using those fancy schmancy image viewers Windows provides.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

This is stunning and I have to agree with you, as the map progressed I kept opening different versions in different tabs to see the progression. It's really fun!

Sheep! And a petting zoo in the fairground! And circles of covered wagons!

Oh and yeah, I also added a massive castle complex, boosted the terrain shading and redid the entire lake bottom, but who cares about such tiny additions.

Ostwyc_28.jpg

All that's left now is the non-map thingies. Unless you guys see anything that really needs fixing before that, so shoot!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Alright, in-map labelling is done. 101 little balls with numbers in them. There's also a golden border, and some other stuff as well.

Ostwyc_29.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Alright, in-map labelling is done. 101 little balls with numbers in them. There's also a golden border, and some other stuff as well.
    It looks like you might have missed the 102nd one in the bottom right corner as there is a bubble sans number there! Otherwise it looks amazing. I think that amount of labels would probably send me over the edge!

Wow Caenwyr, that is a beast metropoly. You have really put a massive good work here.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast