Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: First map, be gentle.

The look of your new mountains/ranges are beautiful, awesome development when contrasted to the first iteration!

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Leontocephaline View Post
    The look of your new mountains/ranges are beautiful, awesome development when contrasted to the first iteration!
    Why thank you! ^_^ Much appreciated, I'm having so much trouble right now with my canyon that I am pretty discouraged. lol

Anyone got a suggestion on the direction I should take?

mapadvice2.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Try drawing a cliff, just one side, and let your skill evolve a bit. Just doodle for a while until you get it right. Then try drawing a cliff viewed from the back (so you don't see the wall, just the ridge). That's gonna be hard to get the right feel through to your viewers. But once you get THAT right, you can just draw the first one behind it (on a separate layer maybe), and erase the bits that should be hidden by the closer ridge.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I learned a ton from Djekspek's tutorials posted on DeviantArt.com, including this great one on CANYONS: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fantas...nyon-276468291
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I learned a ton from Djekspek's tutorials posted on DeviantArt.com, including this great one on CANYONS: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fantas...nyon-276468291
    He's got some nice ones! Thanks!

I've been practicing new styles of mountains, any suggestions on how to improve them?

mapadvice22.jpg

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Those mountains are looking pretty good! I guess, at this point, it depends on what "look" you're going for. Do you want something that looks really organic and realistic? Or very stylized and striking? The more you do, the more your own style will emerge, and the more you'll be able to do your own variations.

By the way, you're not related to Grant and Dave Boucher, by chance?
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boucher View Post
    Why thank you! ^_^ Much appreciated, I'm having so much trouble right now with my canyon that I am pretty discouraged. lol

Anyone got a suggestion on the direction I should take?

mapadvice2.jpg
    3 and 6 look really nice to me. 1 looks like Mr. Frog got angry and scribbled. You clearly have an eye for this. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    Those mountains are looking pretty good! I guess, at this point, it depends on what "look" you're going for. Do you want something that looks really organic and realistic? Or very stylized and striking? The more you do, the more your own style will emerge, and the more you'll be able to do your own variations.

By the way, you're not related to Grant and Dave Boucher, by chance?
    Thanks! I'm still working things out and I'm not sure if I like the direction my first map is going. lol

I actually do have a cousin Dave A. Boucher, lived in B.C. moved to Ontario? lol

But doubt its the same one, there are 14 Robert Boucher's in my town alone, so might not be the same Dave either. "Bobby Boucher, girls are the devil and I don't want you playing that fooseball!"

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    3 and 6 look really nice to me. 1 looks like Mr. Frog got angry and scribbled. You clearly have an eye for this. Keep it up!
    Thank you. I think I'm going to go with 6, but not happy with it. I am going for more of a pushed up around the edges look and I'm just not getting it.

Oh man, I'd love to see a map full of your monster mountains, with some dark and sinister colouring to match. That would be utterly epic!! You can put it on your 'To Do' list.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast