Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Ostrom (commission for Leopardi)

Thanks Naima.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Phenomenal wrok indeed Wingshaw. it reminds me a bit of Viking maps. Really love the it.
    Thanks Voolf. That means a lot, as Viking's work was a major inspiration for this map.

Here's an update. A lot's been done on this, and we're definitely in the end game now. I've redone the national borders and I think they're much better now. I've also added a load of place-names; and all of the cities, towns, villages and roads are now done. The picture frame is a stock image I downloaded, and my plan is to paint a copy of it myself rather than using the photograph.

Still to be done:
    -- painting the picture frame rather than using a stock image
    -- enlarging the canvas to make the text more readable
    -- adding a compass rose and title frame

Advice I'm looking for:
    -- are the national borders too subtle? Are there any continuing issues with them?
    -- do the forests need to be redone? I was thinking of trying something a bit more realistic looking.
    -- the frame: the wide frame or the thin one? Or anything else to do with the frame/border?

Wingshaw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I think the old wood painting frames do not fit with the more modern looking labeled map , the rest looks great, but the frame is rather off to my opinion ... I would go for something more contemporary .

I have to agree with Naima.

The frames are lovely. The map is gorgeous. But the combination doesn't work.

I think a more simple pale wood frame with a satin finish like its waxed - something like ash wood? Not necessarily a traditional triangular section either. Maybe elliptical in section so that the front face is kind of curved?

The map doesn't have too many dark colours in it, so it will have a tendency to look a bit washed out if you put a dark frame around it.

I'm discovering this thread : the map is absolutely stunning !
    I don't see any problem with the boundaries (thus I know some people don't like when the boundaries follows too strictly the mountains shape). Maybe the small land North-East of Moule is a little weird : not sure about how the territory can be kept by the Eastern country over the mountains, but maybe you have a story for it
    I agree with my fellows : such an amazing map deserves a tailor-made frame. Probably something simple to enhance the map itself.
    Another super picky comment would be about the sea texture : it's maybe just a question of taste but I wonder if something softer would not be even better to preserve the style unity ? But as said, it's really free evilness from me to say it, because your work is really fantastic

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The frontiers are just fine. You could darken the forest, in order to make them more obvious. I think you should at least let some "paper" or "parchment" between the map and the frame. And your map is gorgeous !

This map is really really nice. I love the style a lot.

I do not think the borders are too subtle. If anything, they could be even subtler (i find the red a bit distracting).
    As to the forests...i think they could be a bit more pronounced, give them a bit more oomph (a deeper coloration, for example).

Is there a story for this world? I know you are doing it as a commission but maybe Leopardi cares to share?

As for the frames...i don't think the map needs them. But if the customer wants one, s/he should get one. But i have to agree with other votes that maybe you need to look for a more fitting style. Something worthy of the artistic level of the map itself.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Okay, so the antique looking frame wasn't too popular, so I've pulled it back to something more simple: an ash frame, with an elliptical section (thanks Mouse ).

I've also added a compass rose, and a cartouche (currently just a stock image; I'll paint it in once I've decided if I'm happy with it). What do you think of them, and of the new frame?

As for the country borders, I think I'll leave them for now, but I have been meaning to change that bit near Moule (thanks MistyBeee for reminding me ).

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's really appreciated, even if it does take me a long time to reply

Wingshaw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yes, that frame looks a thousand times better. Compass looks great as well. As for the cartouche, I like the general feel of it, but I would possibly tone down the feathers and frills a bit so it's more in line with the border.

If I may, I think the border elements and the compass rose lack some lines to match the map. The relief effects work well but a light opacity colored line would helps in my eye.

Has someone mentioned Cartographer's Choice yet?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast