Wow, that's really unusual! It looks more like the kind of rocks you might find at the beach, rather the tree bark, but the rocky effect works well with the glowy lava. I like it and applaud you for making something really different.
Shetaar - a Tricorp owned region of an as-yet unnamed continent/planet...
Shetaar WIP 01 by Neyjour.png
This was just going to be a quick experiment, to see if a tree bark texture could make a convincing landmass. I wasn't really expecting much, but since it turned out better than I'd hoped, I decided to turn it into a proper map. But... it's a bit slow going since I really had nothing specific in mind for setting, locations, etc. Right now I'm spending not much time actually working on it, and a whole lot of time just staring at it, trying to come up with some ideas/inspiration.
Pretty much everything (other than the land and water) is just a placeholder at the moment (unless I can't come up with anything better). And of course, it still needs the title and some more locations/labels.
Anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and post it, since it turned out rather interesting in terms of "creating" rocky/craggy and elevated/mountainous terrain, without having to digitally paint everything by hand (which I can't do).
Here's the original tree bark texture I used:
T 46 by Kathars1s
Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 03:37 AM.
My: maps ~ mapping freebies
Wow, that's really unusual! It looks more like the kind of rocks you might find at the beach, rather the tree bark, but the rocky effect works well with the glowy lava. I like it and applaud you for making something really different.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Thanks very much, ChickPea!
Here's an update with:
* More locations
* Better fonts/labels
* Title & URL
* Blue compass instead of red
* Darker rhumb lines
Shetaar WIP 02 by Neyjour.png
Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 03:40 AM.
My: maps ~ mapping freebies
Nice! The changes are a definite improvement.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
I like it, it has a very convincing "alien world" look, imo. Very good color choice too.
Very eerie, I like it !