Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: Heaven's Gate

Guild Artisan

Default Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: Heaven's Gate

Been a while for me, but here goes.

Not exactly what I was going for, not even close to be honest, lol. Started with an idea to mimic a hand drawn map and a few hours later ended up with another photo realistic something or rather.

Not really sure what type of map it is yet. Hopefully it will come into focus in the next week or so.

### Latest WIP ###
    River3.jpg

Hi Kier, welcome to the challenge.

I'm highly amused that you started out aiming for a hand-drawn map, and ended up with something that's about as far removed from hand-drawn as it's possible to be!

I like what you've done so far. The cliff effect looks really good. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very nice work!!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Kier, welcome to the challenge.

I'm highly amused that you started out aiming for a hand-drawn map, and ended up with something that's about as far removed from hand-drawn as it's possible to be!

I like what you've done so far. The cliff effect looks really good. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.
    Me too.

It was going to be like a pictograph, hand drawn thingy. I think it can be done by manipulating the picture, leaving just the outlines and heavy accents as a base. The problem of course was I got carried away with all the textures as I always do and one thing led to another and .... well there we have it. lol.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very nice work!!
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    It was going to be like a pictograph, hand drawn thingy. I think it can be done by manipulating the picture, leaving just the outlines and heavy accents as a base. The problem of course was I got carried away with all the textures as I always do and one thing led to another and .... well there we have it. lol.
    Hehe, well you've got to follow your muse!

Looking forward to the next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

Not much of an update. But I have given into whatever the Map is going to bring me.

Tried to give the cliff so more Height.
    Added the waterfall - Heaven's Gate
    Attempted some better shading to show dimension on the right leading into the cliff.
    More shading on the left, trying to create a valley
    Attempted to create a path way beneath the trees in the valley, didnt want it to be too noticeable as its a thick canopy.
    Decided on no true border, rather pleased with the way the map cuts out into the paper.

### Latest WIP ###
    River10.jpg
    Last edited by Kier; 11-01-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Nice job with the waterfall! It looks good.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Oh nice! This is working out well. Very realistic for a hand-drawn map I have no idea what you did to make the cliffs go like they're going, but they're going great. Some shadows under the vegetation might help indicate whether its shrubs or trees, and you might want to split it into a couple of layers to really highlight the cool ridge you've got in the bottom right corner. it's coming along very well!

cheers,
    Meshon

I second Meshon on those cliffs, they're awesome.
    And the waterfall looks good too, but maybe you cold give it a little less haze at the top - it looks like there's as much haze on the top of the waterfall as at the bottom...

Challenge wise.. this beautiful picture needs some more elements in order to become a map, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast