Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: Quest of the Child of Stars

Default October 2017 Challenge: Quest of the Child of Stars

Okay, I'm in. All words to be used in the design.

I'm planning one of those maps with the little inset drawings for import sites. I've never tried that before. This may be a stupid way of doing it, but I'll be doing the inset drawings in ink, then scanning them, refining and probably doing the color in GIMP, then inserting them into the main map file. The underlying map may end up being stunningly simple, as it will be pretty much the last thing I work to finish.

I am thinking of a note showing how most of the heroes would be involved in this quest:

"It was foretold that the Child of the Stars would recover the Legendary Gem of Victory from the Hidden Temple of Dark Knowledge. The Child has had a vision. His quest is to recover the Gen. Yours is to guard the Child on this dangerous journey. The future of the Empire depends on you. (signed) Lydinal, Master of the Armored Port"

I hope to incorporate the Legendary Gem of Victory into the compass.

The detail drawings in circles will be:
    The Child of the Stars
    The Hidden Temple of Dark Knowledge
    The Dragon Cave
    The dragon's treasure: gold, silver, and the Freezing Sword
    The Axis Gun, Wonder Weapon from Another World
    The House of the Piercing Eye (go alone at midnight and the Mistress of the Eye will answer three questions)
    The emblem of the Peacock Empire
    The Armored Port
    The Wandering Fortress
    The Spider Vale (where lies the Axis Gun)

There will be an Enchanted Road as part of the underlying map, but no illustration for it.

Depending on how much space I end up with left to fill, there may be some more information about the quest. I think I should wait and see how things start coming together to decide how and to what degree to indicate the progress of the quest. I am thinking either a series of colored lines (red?) with arrows, showing each stage of the quest or else numbers at important points visited and a key explaining what each stop provides.

Nothing to show yet, as I just did some rough penciling of general designs tonight. Hopefully, I'll be able to get at least a couple of drawings inked and scanned tomorrow so people can have a good laugh.

Go for it, rdanhenry

We seem to have chosen a couple of similar word combinations between us, but I'm doing a map with everything crammed into the one drawing, so they won't look a bit alike. Plus... I can't seem to draw a dragon that doesn't look like a turkey! LOL!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ambitious, I like it!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Sounds like a good plan, rdanhenry! I'm going for the inset approach too (though far too much of a coward to do things by ink ) so looking forwards to what you come up with!

Well, I've got an initial scan of the Dragon's Cave and his (her?) treasure. I still need to color these and shrink them down, then I'll see how they look and if I need to adjust my approach. Oh, and put a nice computer graphic circle around them to replace my hand-drawn efforts.

Oct2017-Dragon_Treasure.jpgOct2017-Dragon_Cave.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now you're rolling... you'll get all those keywords going in no time
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this. That's a long list to incorporate on the map!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I got these first two colored, but I haven't figured out yet how much I'll have to shrink them to fit my map. I think they'll be okay, though. The main thing I noticed is that I need to make sure I put a bit more effort into erasing my pencils on the rest of these, as there were some stray marks left. I don't think they'll be noticeable on the final map, but it's cleaner to just keep them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is looking very interesting

Does it matter if the pencil shows? You could even use the pencil to do the shading and just add colour.

these are looking really cool! They look hand drawn, which I'm always intrigued by, because I can't hand draw anything!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast