Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Waskingdale Island

Default Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Waskingdale Island

I thought I'd toss my hat into the ring early for this one. I don't have any story behind this yet, but I think the explorer who discovered it, Captain Juan Tedman, named it after his main patron, Lord Waskingdale.

Anyway I've been messing about with GIMP and haven't done any drawing yet. Things might change drastically while I work out what I'm going to do next and start 'painting'. It almost looks like one of those LIDOR things.

### Latest WIP ###
    Waskingdale Island.jpg

Wow! That's very striking, Straf

I think this is my favourite of all the island shapes.

I'm very envious of you all. Maybe we need to ask Diamond if he would run a similar Main Challenge

Blog Entries

Yeah - good start ! Is there anything you can do about the 30 degree lines running through it ? Nice texture and colours.

Good start Straf! Glad you're in!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a rough place to live
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I've been faffing about with GIMP a bit more to try to come up with a different terrain. I think I'm liking this one better.

Errr, I mean some erosion and geology stuff happened but miraculously left the land shape the same as it was...

### Latest WIP ###
    Waskingdale Island.jpg

Well its certainly different, Straf, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Maybe something altogether a lot less contrasty and hugely patterned? Something like a very fine grass base on which to grow your mountains from the ground up with patches of rocky stuff and relief shading?

EDIT: It might be easier to start with the bottom layer - a pale sand or grit, then add the variably transparent ocean layer(more transparent around the shores than out to sea), then texture paint something rocky as the cliffs (if you're going to have them) around the edge leaving some of the sand/grit visible as beaches between the edge of the water and the cliffs (though only a tiny slither, since this is 150 miles across), then cover most of the island with very fine grass, and work on mountain ranges on top of that?
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Oh my!

I can't imagine what state of mind I must have been in to be such a bully yesterday! I am so sorry, Straf. My bad. Please ignore the last comment?

The new texture is definitely an improvement on the first one

I already did ignore it

I did wonder if you thought this was my finished map - it's not, it's the beginning really. I have a lot of 'sculpting' to do. I'm trying something new out for this challenge You'll have to wait to see if it comes off though

Aw, thank you

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast