Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June / July '18 Lite Challenge: Apollo 11 Flight Profile

Default June / July '18 Lite Challenge: Apollo 11 Flight Profile

One of the greatest journeys mankind has ever embarked on took humanity away from Earth for the first time and opened up our nearest celestial neighbor, the Moon, for exploration. Apollo 11 was the first mission in the NASA's Apollo program to bring astronauts to the surface of the Moon. On July 16, 1969, Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin, and Michael Collins launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida on top of a Saturn V rocket. 5 days later, on July 21, Armstrong took humanity's first steps on the surface of the Moon.

For this map, I wanted to highlight humankind's journey from Earth to the Moon.

### Latest WIP ###
    JuneJuly2018_ChallengeLite_WIP1.jpg

This WIP shows my early layouts for the Earth and the Moon. I have two Moons drawn because I want to illustrate the journey away from the Earth on the top Moon and the journey home on the lower Moon.
    In my next iteration, I plan to draw the actual flight path and begin annotating the various milestones of the flight.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

What a great idea! Maybe you could try to illustrate the way the astronauts used the gravity field of the Moon to power them back to Earth? I really love the originality, I wouldn't have thought about it! Can't wait to see more!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    What a great idea! Maybe you could try to illustrate the way the astronauts used the gravity field of the Moon to power them back to Earth? I really love the originality, I wouldn't have thought about it! Can't wait to see more!
    That's exactly what I plan to do. It'll show the slingshot maneuver they used as well as the parking orbits around the Earth and Moon. I'll might also illustrate what the ship looked like after each milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    That's exactly what I plan to do. It'll show the slingshot maneuver they used as well as the parking orbits around the Earth and Moon. I'll might also illustrate what the ship looked like after each milestone.
    Can't wait to see you next WIP!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

I decided to go with a chalkboard/school vibe with this map. I'm not totally sold on it yet, but I like the aesthetic so far. I haven't seen many maps with dark backgrounds, so the chalkboard felt different. Using a chalkboard background also illustrates outer space conveniently.
    The photo of the Apollo 11 crew was added to compliment the history lesson visuals, but like the chalk, I'm not really sold yet. I might leave it. We'll see.
    The trajectory lines were originally done using the pen tool. I eventually drew over them on a different layer using the default chalk brush.

### Latest WIP ###
    JuneJuly2018_ChallengeLite_WIP2.jpg

I don't plan on adding too much more to the map, other than details and descriptions. If anything sticks out as needing improvement, I'd love to hear it before I finalize it.

Nice effect, Alfanso, the chalk looks really good there ! I assume you'll rework the circles a little ? They look artificial for now, mostly on the moon(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Nice effect, Alfanso, the chalk looks really good there ! I assume you'll rework the circles a little ? They look artificial for now, mostly on the moon(s)
    Yeah, after I posted that WIP I noticed that I forgot to edit those circles. I'm contemplating hand drawing them, but they'll lose their neatness if I do. For the Earth, I just messed around with the blend modes and opacity until it looked more natural.

Nice work Alfansos! Have you thought about drawing the craters on the moon? I think it would add a little to your map

Welcome to the Challenge Allfanso! Great idea! I agree that a little crater effect would be good.

Very clever! And very nicely presented Looking forward to seeing how you finish it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast