Thread: Hello, I'm new (sort of)

Default Hello, I'm new (sort of)

I hope I didn't post one of these 'way back when I first got a log-on. If I did, I apologize.

Hi, I'm Lyn, I'm an author, and I'm fascinated with world-building. This, in turn, led me to be fascinated with maps, because many fantasy/sci-fi/post-apoc worlds have a different geography than The World We Live In...

And here I am. I'm an absolute novice at map-making and I'm working on paper because drawing with a mouse drives me bonkers. I'm currently in-progress on mapping for on fictional world with three others on the back burner.

Hi!

Welcome Lyn! I don't think anyone's going to mind if you did post one way back then.

Looking forward to seeing some of your maps!

By the way, if you really do want to draw maps digitally you should pick up a drawing tablet (drawing with a mouse drives everyone crazy I'm pretty sure).

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I think it'll depend on how immersive this hobby ends up being for me. Right now, I don't want to spend $ on something I'm just dabbling in, so I'll stick to paper and pencil.

(Although the ability to make changes without tracing a whole new map is very very tempting...)

Oh yes, I totally understand. I was just letting you know that there is better options than a mouse for drawing digitally. I think most people start out with good'ol pen and paper, and there's nothing wrong with it. Some people still only do them with pen and paper, which is pretty cool.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Lyn and welcome to the guild - we love all kinds of maps here and a lot of people work with pen and paper. The medium doesn't really matter (although building a map in meat and veggies might smell after some time) as long as you love mapping. Remember you can check out our tutorials and you can post your work in progress in a WIP thread and get help and critique as you work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@Josiah VE - I've been searching for tutorials or help or other people doing pen-and-paper, and haven't found much yet, but the day is young! (or at least middle aged...)

@tilt - thanks for the welcome! :-D

Yeah, there aren't many tutorials for pen and paper stuff on here I don't think, but these are videos I watched when I was still doing them on paper.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Awesome, thanks so much!

Oh, is this the guy with the little-green-cubes coast outline trick? I've been doing that with legumes!