Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Krypton

Default Map of Krypton

Ok, so I'm making a map of Krypton as the title suggests... What I did was take the below map along with some others:
    Map_of_Krypton_Earth-One.jpg

Converted them to an equirectangular projection (I'm hoping I did it right, but it the arctic areas look messed up imo) and created this:

KryptonMapColorv0.png

I'd like some feed back before I start labeling, but more importantly I'm stuck on something...

In the North East of the Eastern Continent there is a mountain range that is supposted to be made of "jewels" the image shows red, yellow, and white, but knowing the lore it seems reasonable to have blue, green, etc as well.
    I'm using Eriond's tutorial so I have the layers all divided still, but I have no idea how to go about how to make that look right.

Another thing is the other mountain range on the Eastern Continent is supposed to be a mix of "The Fire Falls" which is like a Waterfall of Fire? Which then has a "Scarlet Forest" around it... and a(the) "Gold Volcano" which ejects Molten Gold. I can either leave this as it is or try to color it a bit red, but I don't think that would look good.

Suggestions and thoughts?

Unfortunately I can't help you on the mountains.
    Though I like the way your map is going to look. Yet if I zoom in on the large version the coastlines are a bit pixelated. Maybe you could solve that by another resolution or by blurring the lines a little bit (2-3px should be enough, depending on the overall resolution of the map).

A question of taste of course, but I'd also like some kind of border lines on the coasts, more clearly dividing land from water and giving the map more depth. Maye you could achieve more depth also by adding shadows. At my own map I got good results by darkening the landside of the coasts while brightening the water side of the coast. But it's totally up to you wether to go with shadows or a border line or leaving it as it is.

Unfortunately the Jaggies aren't possible to clean up as that would require going all the way back to the beginning and a border might fix it though and I might put one, but i dunno at the moment.

So maybe you could go for a border and blur the borderline, which would cover the pixelation of the coast. I'm curious if you'll find a way to solve that.

So here I added a border...but it has to be fairly thick and blurring it causes the original border to be removed which defeats the purpose. So uses an eraser to remove the border line when it was too thick internally.

I also tried something for the Jewel Mountain by making a Mosaic Red and Moaic Yellow layer, then cloud difference rendered and set the layer mixing setting to "Difference" then merged them down... then blured it a small bit. And what you see is the result.

KryptonMapColorv1.png

Comparing the two maps, I think the second one with the border is better. How thick the line should be is indeed a matter of try and error. I have to say I like the dark blue of the ocean. However, you could try to brighten it up a bit more towards the coasts, so that the contrast to the borderline of the continents is more visible.
    I think you're on a good way with the Jewel Mountains, maybe you could add some light spots or glittering.

Blog Entries

close to cylindrical
    The ice is off and those rivers at the poles are off

and just the northpole fixed on your map
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 10-14-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

@Johnvanvliet Are you saying I got the projection conversion wrong?

Blog Entries

a bit off
    the cartoon looks to be a Mercator / simple cylindrical mix of some sort , with circles cut out .
    so the land looks fine , just the poles are a problem

a "equirectangular" going from 90 north and 90 south has the pole on the first and last line / row of the image
    this is what your southpole looks like remapped to polarstereographic

see in the center of the south pole , this is what is called a "polar pinch " and in this case it is do to the mapping being a bit off at the poles
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 10-14-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

So I restarted from the beginning and made it a higher resolution then and tried to fix the projection. I also fixed that I missed one mountain range...

Anyways, the Antarctic is still squarish when on a globe and I am trying to figure out how to remove the rivers from the arctic regions...
    The color version is before I start shaping the climate regions.
    The BnW version is the Height Map from wilbur

They have both been reduced by half resolution to what I'm working at and highest compression of GIMP.

KWHM2_small.png

KryptonMapColor2_Small.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast