Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eastmott and Frostmarch (Commission WIP)

Wip Eastmott and Frostmarch (Commission WIP)

So, here is the WIP of Eastmott, a continuation of the commission I recently completed. It is a cropped portion of the map, showing the Nation of Eastmott and the mountain range Frostmarch. See if you can find it on the Arcannan Map.Eastmott.jpg

And for those interested, here are the sketches that I go through until I come up with the final design. I usually go through several sketches to solidify it and finalize it for the client.

Eastmot.jpg

Eastmott Sketch copy.jpg

Critiques and comments wanted!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert

Thanks for letting us have a glimps into you're process, it's interesting to see, and great work as always. I'm curious, how do you get those inky looking lines? Do you just use a hard round brush, or have you tinkered with the settings in some way, I can never get mine to look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks for letting us have a glimps into you're process, it's interesting to see, and great work as always. I'm curious, how do you get those inky looking lines? Do you just use a hard round brush, or have you tinkered with the settings in some way, I can never get mine to look that way.
    Thanks! I don't think I do anything special, I'm just using a size 5 hard round brush.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Novice

Do you do any sketching by hand first, or just jump straight in to working digitally?

Those cliffs are great, by the way. A really nice touch to add some depth to that coastline.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Thanks! I don't think I do anything special, I'm just using a size 5 hard round brush.

Thanks Josiah, maybe I'm just using too small of a brush, I generally use a 2px brush, maybe I'll have to try doing my lines a bit thicker.

Kacey, Probably size jitter is bigger than yours, try playing with it, and pressure sensitivity.... and yes 2px is too small to have this effect i think.

Btw. Josiah VE, the linework looks great, the fields reminds me of someone else's work, looking forward to see this colored !
    Last edited by Voolf; 12-22-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loottheroom View Post
    Do you do any sketching by hand first, or just jump straight in to working digitally?

Those cliffs are great, by the way. A really nice touch to add some depth to that coastline.
    Thank you!
    No, I don't usually do sketches on paper. Often the client will have done a sketch on paper and that's what a work off of though.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks Josiah, maybe I'm just using too small of a brush, I generally use a 2px brush, maybe I'll have to try doing my lines a bit thicker.
    I think you're right, probably if it's bigger it might have a bit more 'inky' look to it. Like Voolf said, you can play with some setting to get the right effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Kacey, Probably size jitter is bigger than yours, try playing with it, and pressure sensitivity.... and yes 2px is too small to have this effect i think.

Btw. Josiah VE, the linework looks great, the fields reminds me of someone else's work, looking forward to see this colored !
    Thanks Voolf. Do you mean it reminds you of someone else's work as in you weren't expecting me to do something that good? JK. Are you referring to a specific piece of work? Like this one: Ember in the Ashes

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Haha, exactly this one Josiah VE. Did not wanted to name it, but since you did already. I can clearly see you have been reffering to Jon's work.
    Was i expecting you not do draw that good... of course not, I believe everyone get better and better with every map here (unless we start with some totally diferent style for the first time)

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Haha, exactly this one Josiah VE. Did not wanted to name it, but since you did already. I can clearly see you have been reffering to Jon's work.
    Was i expecting you not do draw that good... of course not, I believe everyone get better and better with every map here (unless we start with some totally diferent style for the first time)
    Yes, his work is very inspirational for me, I often refer to it. I especially love the style in that specific map, it may be one of my favorite maps. I linked to the linework version of it because it's easier to see the linework than in the full colour version.
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 12-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

And here is an update.

Eastmott.jpg

Let me know what your thoughts are!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast