Thread: [WIP] Western Amera - Fantasy world map

Default [WIP] Western Amera - Fantasy world map

Damn, some of the work here is good. Just browsing around I've already gotten some ideas on how to improve this!

Well, anyway, this here is the beginnings of a fantasy world I've been thinking about for a few years now. It's actually a computer game idea I have which (for reasons I won't get into) dictates the specific arrangement of the major settlements and roads. It also might explain the funny scale of the map, which like Skyrim needs to feel vast, without actually being vast. While I want this setting to feel like half a continent, the player would still be able to see most of the way across the map from a high enough vantage point.

fantasy-map-02.jpg

Geographically the most important feature of this map is the 'Bronzemoor' area in the centre, which used to be a giant lake with a large island, connected by bridges. Now it is dry, grassy moorland defended by hostile giant creatures.

There is also a large city in the tallest mountain to the north, a farming settlement to the east, a port city to the south and a former religious commune turned prison on the island to the west (connected at low tide by a causeway).

I'd welcome any feedback at all, especially about how to improve the look of the map. I'm going to add more points of interest, symbols, and refine the road shapes next.

Edit: Oh, I'm definitely interested in any good font recommendations! These are alright, but I'm not particularly going for a Celtic vibe. Just fantasy and legibility.
    Last edited by Foomandoonian; 02-01-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

I think your mountain ridges could be a bit ... well, ridgier. They are pretty sharp right now. Otherwise this is a really nice map, that has a very clean feel to it. The colors are nice as well.

As for fonts, I browse dafonts.com and 1001freefonts.com a lot. I don't know what you're looking for *exactly*, but there are quite a lot in the fantasy categories. Do keep an eye on the license terms, though. If your map is for a computer game that you want to sell to people, you need a font that is licensed accordingly.

Thanks Rognar. I'll see what I can do about the mountains.