Thread: Oct/Nov 2020 Lite Challenge: Maui and the big fish

Wip Oct/Nov 2020 Lite Challenge: Maui and the big fish

Hi All

I thought I would do the New Zealand Maori folk story of Maui and the big fish for this month's lite mapping challenge. This is the Maori equivalent of a fairy tale and I know there are many children's books written about it.

The story goes that Maui snuck out on his brothers fishing boat (waka) which was what is now the south island of New Zealand. His brothers generally refused to let him come with them on their trips. Once they were underway Maui came out of his hiding place and began fishing, his brothers would not let him have any of their bait so he hit his nose and baited the hook with his own blood. He hooked a huge fish which became the south island of New Zealand.
    In the text around the edge, I have also made reference to another of the stories of Maui that takes place after the fishing up of the north island. In this story, Maui is annoyed with the Sun for moving across the sky so quickly and not giving the people enough light to get their work done. He catches the Sun in a net and beats it with a jawbone until the Sun agrees to move more slowly across the sky.

My current work in progress is shown below. So far I've pencilled in all the text and features and begun the inking in. I do all my mapping with pen on paper so this is how I'll be doing this one as well. I'm also planning to apply colour once the inking in is finished.

### Latest WIP ###
    MauiAndTheBigFish_Progress1.jpeg

Wip

I sat down this morning and got the rest of the inking in done and erased the pencil planning lines. I'm pretty pleased with the progress up to this point. Now to add colour!

### Latest WIP ###
    MauiAndTheBigFish_Progress2.jpeg.jpeg

Welcome to the Challenge wminish! The map is looking good & a cool story about Maui.

Map

I've gone through and done the colouring and I think I've now finished the map. I may go back and touch some things up but I think I'm pretty happy with the current state of it.

### Latest WIP ###
    MauiAndTheBigFish_Final_CLR.jpeg

Tena koe, wminish!

Nice to see some of our heritage on here. The colours are lovely and bright, and I do quite like how you've drawn the North Island emerging from the sea.

Nice, great mythology choice!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!