Thread: Musty forest, dusty village of the poorest

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Post Musty forest, dusty village of the poorest

Greetings. This place was not on my map, but glad I stumbled over it in the dark.

Long lover of maps. I know this establishment feels familiar to one who used to stumble from the water closet on two numb legs, because I sat on the throne so long reading atlases and encyclopedia maps that I cut off my circulation to my personal propulsion parts.

Still love an awesome world map as much as anything. Trying to figure out how to trade in my pencil and paper for GIMP (ironically named given how I learned to love maps) or some other screen enabled way to draw maps. My forray into tablets has left much to be desired for mapping, but mine wasn't bought with that in mind at the time.

I'm currently throwing out this world because the ones in our imaginations are so much more rewarding.

Looking forward to the journey.

Hi, welcome to the Guild, glad you found us in the dark.

Check out the Tutorials and How To section for lots of tips and advice. This thread, in particular, has a ton of help...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

I'd suggest following a couple of tutorials, just to get a feel for things. The 'Hand Drawn Mapping (For the Artistically Challenged)' is a good one to start with. It helps to familiarise you with some of the tools in Gimp, then you can branch out on your own.

Most all all, enjoy!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

"Personal propulsion parts". Heh. I must use that.

Welcome to the Guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Fwendebwyn View Post
    Greetings. This place was not on my map, but glad I stumbled over it in the dark.

Long lover of maps. I know this establishment feels familiar to one who used to stumble from the water closet on two numb legs, because I sat on the throne so long reading atlases and encyclopedia maps that I cut off my circulation to my personal propulsion parts.

Still love an awesome world map as much as anything. Trying to figure out how to trade in my pencil and paper for GIMP (ironically named given how I learned to love maps) or some other screen enabled way to draw maps. My forray into tablets has left much to be desired for mapping, but mine wasn't bought with that in mind at the time.

I'm currently throwing out this world because the ones in our imaginations are so much more rewarding.

Looking forward to the journey.
    Thanks. Already been reading tutorials for a few days. Love them. Well see soon if I can follow one better than a hound with no nose.

I have a world map under way in pencil. May post to get feedback on river drainage and general topography feedback. Ya know, get the reaction to a layman's lay of the land? It's definitely nothing fancy to see yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    "Personal propulsion parts". Heh. I must use that.

Welcome to the Guild!
    It's a podiatrist thing.