Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2016 Challenge: Roll For Your Lives! ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** November 2016 Challenge: Roll For Your Lives! ***

New month, new challenge. Since the recent dice/random challenges we had seemed to go over well, here's another one: Roll For Your Lives!

This is a semi-dungeon-mapping challenge, so if you're not into that, just know what it is, going in. The idea here is that every participant starts out with one room, or Underdark chamber, or forest glade, whatever you want. This room can be located ANYWHERE in your overall map - in the middle, at the edge, wherever you want. It can be any size or shape you'd like.

With that in mind, roll ONE six-sided die. The result is how many exits from this room there are. Those exits can be on any wall, ceiling, or floor. They can all be on one wall, etc. if you want. They don't have to be traditional doors - they can be archways, holes, teleportation portals, whatever.

Now, for each of those exits, you get to draw a new chamber/hallway/path/etc. And for each of those new chambers, roll ONE six-sided die. If you roll a 1 - 4, that number is the number of exits from the room. If you roll a 5 or 6 however, you must place a trap in that room (the type is up to you). The new chambers can be any size or shape.

If you roll a trap, then roll a six-sided die on this table for the type of trap:

1. Water-based
    2. Distracting illusions
    3. Chasm opens (where it leads or what kind of nasty stuff is at the bottom is up to you)
    4. Acid- or poison-based
    5. Fire-based
    6. Painting/statue/etc comes to life and attacks

That is the MINIMUM you have to map in this challenge, and again, it is honor-based. I cannot see what you get with your various rolls. (Or can I?) After you complete this minimum, you can keep adding whatever and however you want, either through continued random rolls, or in a more structured, plotted way, it's up to you.

This challenge ends on Wednesday, November 30th, likely around 9-10 PM Pacific time. After that will be three days of voting, then the ceremonial Running of the Ferrets, er, I mean Awarding of the Golden Compass.

Good luck, and... ROLL FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

LATE DIAMOND-FAIL EDIT:

Don't forget to title your threads like so: November 2016 Challenge: << your title goes here >>

Also don't forget to hit that handy little WIP button at the end of each post (if you're posting your work in progress as an attachment) or in front of the attachment (if you're posting it in the body of your post).
    Last edited by Diamond; 11-07-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Cool Idea, Random Dungeon coming up.

I'm so excited! I can't believe there are no entries yet.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Glad to have you with us, Asher!

Presumably you roll until you run out of exits? That seems likely to lead to a very large dungeon.

Never mind I just rolled a 1, 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Presumably you roll until you run out of exits? That seems likely to lead to a very large dungeon.
    Nope.

You start with one room, roll your die for # of exits, roll your die for each of those new rooms connected to the exits. That's the minimum. Anything you add on after that is up to you.

If you rolled the maximum all the way through, the most rooms you'd have would be 31, including the start point. And remember they can be as big or as small as you want.

Oh my, I might have an idea in mind for this one if I can muster enough time to work on it. BUT I would have to start with 6 "exits" and the first "room" would have to be a trap in and of itself which would mean fudging at least the very first roll. Maybe I will just have to do this as a non-challenge map. Decisions decisions.

GW

P.S. I might actually be back. It is a little touch and go at the moment but things are kind of looking up.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G. McWhirter View Post
    Here is my entry!
    Attachment 89227
    Hey Bryan, welcome to the Guild. Nice map you are starting out with there. This thread is for discussion of the challenge. You should start your own thread by posting below this. Check out the other entries to see the usual format. Also don't forget to use the WIP button in any thread that includes a map. It is the one second from the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Hey Bryan, welcome to the Guild. Nice map you are starting out with there. This thread is for discussion of the challenge. You should start your own thread by posting below this. Check out the other entries to see the usual format. Also don't forget to use the WIP button in any thread that includes a map. It is the one second from the right.
    Wow. That's my bad, Bryan. Usually I say that stuff in the first post but I FAILED. Thanks for the assist, Bogie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast