Thread: [WIP] How's my first "proper" map looking?

Default [WIP] How's my first "proper" map looking?

http://imgur.com/a/YeV4S

This is the first map I've sunk considerable time into. At the moment I've probably spent about 6 hours on it. In fairness though. I do tend to spend a lot of time sitting, looking and thinking about it while I'm watching TV or something.

I have no specific idea of a lot of things yet. I'm trying to make things grow kind of organically. City placements and who would live there, what cultures they would be etcetc.

Any feedback is very appreciated! Also don't mind the two different kinds of forests. I know I can explain it away by saying they're just different kind of forests, but fact is, I find the blocked in ones a lot easier and FAR less time consuming to draw haha.

That looks pretty good Shanbo
    Main critique would be that most of it is done as faux perspective, but then you have a top down city.
    That would be the main thing i see that I would consider. I know perspec or iso cities are harder, especially at that size, but it seems incongruous with the rest.
    That said, you're doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Main critique would be that most of it is done as faux perspective, but then you have a top down city.
    That would be the main thing i see that I would consider. I know perspec or iso cities are harder, especially at that size, but it seems incongruous with the rest.
    Thanks Edward, I appreciate the pointers! I realised it looked like that when I was drawing it and, while in a perfect world I'd have isometric or at least slightly more side-profile cities, I know exactly why it happened. It was two things.

One is that thusfar I've had a problem with scaling my maps. I have a hard time deciding just how big I want what's on the page to be. Do I want it to be a continent? Multiple continents? World sized? Or just a large country? When I finally got my head around that, I realised I didn't have enough room on the map to make the cities as detailed as I wanted them for the size of the map, so I had to make them really simple looking.

I'm thinking of maybe doing more zoomed-in segments later on, when I've fleshed out the entire map and got the foundations of cultures n' stuff in.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Those were my thoughts as well. But great job so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh