Thread: The World of Leth

Default The World of Leth

Hey everyone.

Many ages ago I began creating a world call Leth, a tolkienesque fantasy setting. I also hand drew a world map that went through a couple of stages. After 30 years, I've decide that its time to resurrect Leth and start re-writing her stories and rebuild the world. Original I started off having hex paper that I mapped out....

Leth3.jpg
    Last edited by LargusMeans; 09-06-2016 at 02:06 AM.

After having build the world, I joined the hex paper together to get one master map. It was actually the first time I saw the map world as complete.

Leth.jpg
    Last edited by LargusMeans; 09-06-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Unhappy with many aspects of names and places, I photocopied the world and liquid papered out the names and cities and started to clean up the topography so that everything made sense. Water flowed in the right direction, why things were where they were, etc. This was the result of that work.

Leth2.jpg
    Last edited by LargusMeans; 09-06-2016 at 02:07 AM.

So now its 30 years later and I've started revisiting everything. Went to work on Gimp from the urging of a forum member ChickPea, was thinking about doing a commission, didn't feel I would have the time. But something that was stated struck home, its fun making maps. How true!! So this is the work after day one. Lots of edges to be cleaning, and minor adjustments. Not sure if I want to keep it 100% b/w or have a very slight color tinge for rivers/oceans edge. I will post a few updates as I forge forward and will also be asking for help with ideas of how to do certain things. Leth is icebound in the south, i need to make a better iceflow then i currently created. Wish me luck, its a long but fruitful journey.

Leth 9.jpg

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You can feel the 30 years passing by !
    What an improvement !!! Not that your old map wasn't good at all (very Tolkienish, as you said ;-) ... )
    But now, it has much more presence...
    As you said, it's a long journey, but so much pride and pleasure !
    I'm looking forward to see next step coming to life !

I'm enthusiast about your project, because I'm more or less doing the same : I redraw map that I've made on CC3, fellowing the exemple of the fine artists we have here on the guild ! (my old maps are only 2 years old, but it such a fine feeling to improve it !)

Best regards !

Nice so far!
    There are a few overlapping mountains but nothing too bad.
    Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Is that ridge west of the lava pits hand drawn by you? Because I really like it.
    Hmm... I would say I might not have recognized the lava pits as lava pits, red might help as long as it doesn't look really out of place with the rest of the map. Maybe you could browse through some maps on the guild to look for inspiration for lava pits because as of yet I have not drawn any.
    The ice looks a bit better now but still could use some work maybe.
    But nice so far!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Taking Josiah comments to task, I began on cleaning everything up. Also quickly found out that the pre-made brushes certainly have limited capabilities and will have to do much more free hand to be satisfied. This is the same area as the previous map, doesn't look much different, just a lot less noticeable errors.

The circular areas right in the middle is called Feerarth, and is basically molten lava pits. Do I leave them b/w, or should I tinge them with a hint of red?

Leth9.jpg

(Deleted previous post an re-uploaded a better file size)

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Is that ridge west of the lava pits hand drawn by you? Because I really like it.
    Hmm... I would say I might not have recognized the lava pits as lava pits, red might help as long as it doesn't look really out of place with the rest of the map. Maybe you could browse through some maps on the guild to look for inspiration for lava pits because as of yet I have not drawn any.
    The ice looks a bit better now but still could use some work maybe.
    But nice so far!
    What could you suggested as things to do to improve the icewall. Kinda at a lost after too many hours tool around at it.

Haven't had much time lately and have re-thought my initial goals and decided to abandoned using brushes and pre-mades and am going to go at it from scratch. Instead of a black and white style map, it will have more color and hopefully depth. Here is version 2 of the Leth rebuild. Early, early days.

Lethv1.jpg
    Last edited by LargusMeans; 09-30-2016 at 10:44 AM.