Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small City Map - Sketch

Wip Small City Map - Sketch

Hello all. Attached is a city map I sketched today with a rather dull #2. I have the majority of structures, but no details yet, and no surrounding topography.

I drew this for a campaign episode, but I want to work with this and take it from the hand-drawn pencil sketch to something more polished. I figure this will be a good exercise to learn the ropes here, and all the tricks and tool you all utilize.

I just have to figure out when to stop drawing this by hand (I'll ink it in next), and move it to digital format. I also need a better camera than my phone - I can't seem to get an even level of light over the drawing.

Any comments are very welcome!

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

I seem to recall someone posting somewhere about tips for photographing maps and how to improve them in Photoshop... but I have no idea where I saw it and I'm not sure what sort of results the site's search would turn up. Pity.

Looking forward to your next update, as you're off to a cracking start.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I seem to recall someone posting somewhere about tips for photographing maps and how to improve them in Photoshop... but I have no idea where I saw it and I'm not sure what sort of results the site's search would turn up. Pity.
    See Torstan's short tutorial, halfway down this page:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=16819&page=7

Nice one!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
    See Torstan's short tutorial, halfway down this page:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=16819&page=7
    Brilliant, thanks! I'll use that mask for my next photo.

Thanks! I'm working on the next step now. And kudos for using 'cracking' - love that word, I must use it today.

Here's my inked-in version. I think I'm done drawing with pen; time to move to digital and work with the stylus.

smallcitytk-wip2.jpg

That's really impressive. I especially like your terrain, with the "less is more" method. You've made it stick out by using lighter strokes, but it looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    That's really impressive. I especially like your terrain, with the "less is more" method. You've made it stick out by using lighter strokes, but it looks fantastic.
    Thanks! I will add more detail and color to everything. But this is the skeleton so far. First stage is going in and making lots of small fixes and adjustments to the lines, I think. But I still need to watch some videos to find the best methods. I appreciate your encouragement!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Vaxfiend View Post
    Here's my inked-in version. I think I'm done drawing with pen; time to move to digital and work with the stylus.
    Nice job man! Looks great!

A side note, remember, while it is still black and white it is easier to CUT and PASTE buildings and stuff to move them around digitally. It was just something I found useful with my own drawn map.

Goodluck! and have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast