Thread: I need some new hardware...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default I need some new hardware...

So my 0.05mm Staedtler pigment liner started leaking, maybe because I took it on a plane and then the plane flew over Greenland. I hear flying over Greenland is bad for pens. I like this pen because it's tiny and when I'm using pens I often draw on smallish bits of paper, so it's nice to have a pen to make tiny little lines when I'm hunched over a tiny piece of paper. So I'd like to replace it but usually the packs of pens I see on the shelf don't go smaller than 0.1mm. Before I head off to a specialty shop I thought I'd check in to see what brand/type of pens other cartographers are using. I don't think I'm really ready to invest a lot in pens, l and I'm pretty dubious about my ability to deal with dipping in a pot of ink, but I'm open to any suggestions. Is there an ink pen brand that you particularly love? Am I being silly looking for a very thin pen like this and should just learn to draw larger? Are tiny lines just a crutch for my lack of confidence? All suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I personally started with Staedtlers (0.7 - 0.5 - 0.3 - 0.1 - 0.05) but I prefer working with Microns and Faber-Castells where I find the flow more regular. The Faber-Castell Ecco Pigment pen's shape is a delight to hold.

My go-to is the Pigma Micron. The 0.05 is usually small enough for me, though I like to make tiny details!

I've also used Copic Multiliners a little, and they seem like a fancier option. They also come as small as 0.03. I used those extensively on this old challenge entry: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=34146&page=4

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk