Thread: City map designer needed for game project

Default City map designer needed for game project

I'm looking for a cartographer who can create a medieval/renaissance city map in isometric perspective (NOT just top-down view) for a game I'm developing. I have a very good idea of the style I'm looking for. Not cartoony, with fairly well-defined buildings, a city wall going around the perimeter, and a small patch of forest to the south. I plan on making this into a clickable map in the game, where users can click on specific locations on the map. I can label/highlight those locations myself, so no need for a legend, numbers, etc.

I have no idea of the going rate. I've commissioned character art for my game before, but I get the impression that commissioning a map is going to be more expensive than that.

Note that my game is adult in nature, if that's a concern, but of course the map will be completely SFW.

I can give you specific details privately. Apparently I'm unable to send PMs directly, since this is my very first post, so please PM and I'll respond.

Here's a good example of the style I'm looking for:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...650#post312650

I would've preferred to contact Wingshaw directly, since from what I've seen, his style matches what I'm looking for exactly, but apparently I can't do that.

To avoid spam/clutter.

Which is precisely what I'm doing right now. And if, for some reason, I can't reply to PMs right away, then I'll have to make four more completely useless, spammy posts in order to avoid spam.

Heh.

Hello Mouse,

I can help you there - I'm an illustrator and map-maker with several years' experience, including isometric cities. I can be contacted at ryan@ryansthomason.com.

Hi there mouse. You don't need to send me a PM as I've come to you instead And I'm glad that you like my style.

I will send you a PM in addition to this comment. [EDIT: looks like the anti-spam measures also make it impossible to send you messages ]

I would be happy to discuss working with you on this project, but I need to warn you that I am currently fully booked and so will not have the time to start work on a map for you for several months. If that is a problem, I am happy to point you towards some other excellent city mappers on this site.

I'm also finishing off another project at the moment, so will not be able to even reply to messages until later next week.

You can reach me at george[dot]langridgegould[at]gmail[dot]com

Wingshaw
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-04-2020 at 04:29 AM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hi Mouse,
    This sounds really interesting.
    Send me an email at blackguardmaps[at]gmail[dot]com
    Would love to work on this.

Hello Mouse,

I have thought a while before putting my name here, especially since you were mentioning Wingshaw specifically. I'm not a full-time cartographer, and i don't take commissions usually, but this one sounded too perfect for me to miss out, and I think my work could provide what your looking for. Following the fact that my map-drawing is a mere hobby, i can only put a makeshift portfolio here (-1- -2- -3- -4-)- it consists mostly of hand-drawn grayscale town and village maps, though I sometimes decide to colour one or another of them either with watercolours or digitally with Photoshop.
    Coming along with my cartography being only a hobby, I gotta mention though that my time for it is limited, as I'm working full time, which leaves only the evenings and weekends to work on a map. So if you have a strict deadline coming up soon, I wouldn't be a good choice.
    If what I said above is no obstacle, you can send me a message via jmunsberg1@yahoo.de .

J. Munsberg aka Chlodowech
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 01-04-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Honestly I think Chlodowech would be a great choice if Wingshaw's schedule won't do it for ya. They have lovely detailed city work with tons of small unique houses.

Yeah, a map like this could range anywhere from $150-$1500 depending on the size you need it to be. City maps can get pricy. I would probably have a 4 digit quote for a printable map with that level of detail but it's not my specialty and I would probably not recommend myself for this specific map, my signature is one of the better examples of what I could do in this style but mostly I do continents, countries, and world maps.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!