Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Guild Expert

Post Hello!

Hi, I'm new here so I thought I'd at least pop in, and say hello.

I've been lurking around the site for several years, and tried many of the techniques in several of the tutorials trying to learn the software, and haven't had any success in getting anything finished. I recently revisited one of the maps I'd been trying to learn on a couple of years ago, but had given up on very early in my progress, so decided I should give it another go.

I came here hoping to get some help, and opinions from the many talented members of this site.

I had completely given up on trying to learn fantasy cartography, so hopefully joining will help to keep me motivated because it's something I've wanted to learn for a really long time.

Hi Kacey, welcome to the Guild. Glad you're not giving up, though I know it can be frustrating when you can't create quite the image you see in your head. Best thing to do is to post what you've got in one of Work in Progress threads and ask for advice on how to proceed. I know you said you've tried some of the tutorials, but it might be worth revisiting a couple just to refresh your skills. Hope you can stick with it, and we'll look forward to seeing your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

HI lacey, I'm not sure what tutorials you have tried, or what software you are using, but lots of people have been quite successful starting with a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, post your efforts in the WIP threads and get some suggestions and advice.

I recommend Photoshop CC, but if you want a free program, GIMP is almost as good.

Guild Artisan

I am using GIMP and it is definitely more than satisfying.
    There is also Wilbur (free) and Fractal Terrain (paying) which are really excellent softwares creating fantasy worlds from scratch. Wilbur's Learning curve is quite steep but Fractal Terrain is rather user friendly.

Welcome to the guild! Don't get discouraged! Tons to learn here, just keep trying and you will see progress! The most important thing is to just keep trying and practicing.

Guild Expert

Hi ChickPea, thanx for the quick reply. It really is frustrating, story of my life. I've started so many projects which didn't look anything like what I had imagined in my head only to give up, and move on to something else. I have so many unfinished projects, most of which have been deleted out of frustration.

what is the best place to post a WIP thread? I was going to post in the regional mapping section, but I Just wasn't sure if there was a Specific place for WiP projects.

I have revisited some tutorials recently, which has helped to remind me of some of the things I'd forgotten.

I'll try to put up what I have so far in the next few day's but I'm short on time right now with 2 little ones, so I'll do my best.

Guild Expert

Hi Chick, I'm not entirely sure winch tutorials I've tried either to be honest, it's been a couple of years since I tried delving into map making. I'll definitely check out those threads, thank you for the suggestions I appreciate all the help I can get.

I use PhotoShop cc right now, but gimp definitely is a good program, in fact the map I'm hoping to get help with was started in gimp about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Hi ChickPea, thanx for the quick reply. It really is frustrating, story of my life. I've started so many projects which didn't look anything like what I had imagined in my head only to give up, and move on to something else. I have so many unfinished projects, most of which have been deleted out of frustration.

what is the best place to post a WIP thread? I was going to post in the regional mapping section, but I Just wasn't sure if there was a Specific place for WiP projects.

I have revisited some tutorials recently, which has helped to remind me of some of the things I'd forgotten.

I'll try to put up what I have so far in the next few day's but I'm short on time right now with 2 little ones, so I'll do my best.
    I feel your pain, and have had to bench a few things myself out of frustration, though I usually go back to them eventually. There's no harm in walking away, if all you're doing is becoming more and more disillusioned. Every map - even an abandoned one - is a learning experience and slowly it starts to come together. So don't give up!

Regional mapping section is the place to post your WIP (assuming it's a larger area map, not a city map). Looking forward to seeing your work. Don't be shy about posting, even if it's at a very basic stage. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're working on.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Hi Deadshade, I agree with you gimp is more than satisfying, I have played around with it allot for digital painting, and for some things I actually like it better than PhotoShop, they both have there merits. I use different programs for different things. I also really like using Procreate on my iPad, it's a good little painting program, and used it extensively when my computer was out of order.

I have checked out Wilbur in the past, and found it completely baffling, but do enjoy fractal terrains, I've used that as well and thought it was pretty neat.

Guild Expert

Hi Seria, thanx for the warm welcome, and encouragement, I really do appreciate it, every one seems so nice here. After lurking around the forum for a few years it's what prompted me to join, all the members seem so helpful to others, it's really nice to see... Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast