Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2015 Entry - Starliner

Default April 2015 Entry - Starliner

I like cross sections of ocean liners and I like science fiction so I figured I'd combine both and do a Starliner.

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a001.jpg

Hi Mapeando, i downloaded Sketch Up some days ago and there is so much i have to learn yet, so i'm really looking forward to see how you progress with this. By chance i also want to use it for "spaceship design", but not for this challenge. Please take it with a grain of salt, but in my view your starliner looks pretty much like a giant coffin atm... is this on purpose?

Hi, Abu Lafia, you're absolutely right, it looks like a coffin. I'm far from an expert in Sketchup so I figured that making the sections would be easier if the hull's general structure was rather simple. Also, my inspiration came from this real liner which has none of the elegance of the designs of the early 20th century, these things nowadays look like horizontal skyscrapers.

Wallpaper 1920x1080 - Celebrity Cruises - Equinox.jpg

So, here's how it's going...
    In the foreground you can see what will be the bridge on top, a few hexagonal escape pods in orange, and the fwd cargo hold with some pink crates.
    I've also added a couple of tennis court, a swimming pool, a restaurant and around midships the tiny suites for accommodations. These will be rearranged as I add more sections.
    Astern there's an outboard thruster nacelle and what will be the engine room.

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a012.jpg

Wow this looks really nice already, great job! And from this perspective it also doesn't look that coffin-like anymore Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

The tennis section felt empty, so I rotated it 90º and could add another one. Now I'm just rearranging things before adding new parts.

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a015.jpg

Most of the accommodations and escape pods are in place now. Added an auditorium in the forward section.
    All those restaurants under the suites will have to be customized. And the cargo hold too. Probably we don't need that much tennis.

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a019.jpg

Here's a close-up of the crew's quarters.
    Mapeando_Starliner_a023.jpg

I'm adding an upper promenade with some vegetation. And customizing some of the lounges.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 72843

I guess I shouldn't upload 2 images in a post.
    so here's how it's looking now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a030.jpg

A close-up of the arcade

Mapeando_Starliner_a031-Arcade.jpg

Bridge and forward lounge

### Latest WIP ###
    Mapeando_Starliner_a034.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast