Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed City Looking for Feedback

Wip Unnamed City Looking for Feedback

Hello!
    Here is the labor of my love for the past week or so and I'm looking for feedback before I go on with coloring and small details.

Design: Trade city nestled in the mountains made around a major trade route headed west through the mountains.
    8 Places of importance:
    (Unnamed) Fort
    Courthouse
    Temple to the god of commerce
    Constable's watchtower
    Merchant's Council Hall
    College Grounds (Business college?)
    Eccentric Founder's House
    The Market Plaza

If you have any ideas or concerns please let me know, The only goal here is to improve!
    Also, if you have any cools names for the city and places in it by all means throw me a bone.

Mountain Trade City WIP.jpg

It looks really good and I love the colors you used. I'm not sure if the shadows are correct though, from which direction does the light come from?

Blog Entries

the shadowing is really messed up

it is coming from all directions and random
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Wip

Oops, It seems I made a mess of the shadows layer when I was getting ready to export the last one.. then I saved over it like an idiot. So I had to redo a couple hours work today, and this is as far as I got with that for now. Definitely better than the last one, still needs more work on the buildings though.

Also: I hate how the cliffs look right now but I can't seem to get the shape and shadows right.

Mountain Trade City WIP.jpg

Wip Arbeian

Added some base colors, was looking for a non-uniform grassy color that goes well with the more grey-ish and desaturated colors of the city.
    Adjusted some shadows (again) and it probably won't be the last time. This particular map is shadow and lighting intensive, and I'm bad at shadows.
    Gave the walls and keep some texture and I feel like it looks nice.

I still can't get the cliffs right, I'll keep surfing through references and see if I can't find one that helps.

Other than that, A friend of mine helped me flesh out some info regarding the city which is now named: Arbeian (Are-bay-en)
    The city was founded during the age of the Ahiiman (a-he-men) Empire. It started as a simple fortress protecting a trade route west through the mountains. The Cardinal Peaks that divide the central part of the continent.
    The road that goes from the far east of the empire to the far west has to go through Arbeian to get through Sovereign's Pass. This makes Arbeian an important stop for traders headed west.
    After the Empire fell around 300 years ago, power in the city transferred to the merchant guilds and wealthy landowners. The King's Wall is now manned by sellswords that work for the Merchant Senate.
    The city maintains a very diverse population, and even after the Empire's collapse has been doing comparatively well than the other cities of the Empire.

Arbeian.jpg

Guild Apprentice

Truly enjoy the addition of the green colors. Makes the architectural choices make a lot of sense. The only thing that I think would make the map easier to view would be some labels or a legend naming the major places in the city.

Strong Work.
    "I've heard that before, from the thing I said just now" Stephen Hughes

Yes I would agree some labels will definitely clean up some confusion as to what's what. Perhaps I'll add a simple number layer on the next iteration.

Guild Apprentice

I personally think the numbers look best, and the legend would fit nicely in that bottom right corner.
    "I've heard that before, from the thing I said just now" Stephen Hughes

Wip Arbeian City of Commerce

Arbeian.jpg

This is the last time I update this in 2016.
    I'm still not sure how to go about fixing the cliffsides. I think the shadows are doing good but you never know what someone else might see that you don't.

Added towers on the walls, textured most of the buildings, redesigned the Temple.

One of the big things that changed in this version is the temple, I'm trying to go for a "Dome of the Rock" lookalike and I thinks it looks pretty close, but if you see anything that could make it look better let me know.

I still need to add details like market stalls, Roads in the college area, and labeling the whole map in general.
    As always if you're inclined to leave some feedback, even it's to tell me how bad it is, all is welcome. It can only help me improve.

Much better with the greens added in and shadowing fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast