Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caerdunh and its surroundings - Hand drawn

Map Caerdunh and its surroundings - Hand drawn

Hello, this is my first attempt at hand drawn map making and I'm quite happy with the result even though a lot of features need some work. Also, I enhanced the picture with some photoshop filters because my scanner couldn't take all the grey shades (once scanned, the pictures was really 'flat' and dull). This was done with a simple pencil and my finger to scrub the paper.
    Anyway, I decided to share it to have some feedbacks, that way I will hopefully improve !

Don't hesitate to criticize (constructive critics of course)

CaerdunhMap.jpg

Thanks in advance

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Dude, I'd be 'quite happy' too if I could draw something like this. Amazing work. The shadows are maybe a little bit too intense, noticeable especially around the citadel. [Edit] Or maybe it only seems like that because the roof of the citadel doesn't seem to be affected by light as much as the other buildings are (the stark contrast) because of its' texture indicating line work. Which is probably why the citadel as a whole looks like a huge blob of shadow to me because it lacks contrast.
    Last edited by Rongar; 02-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks for the comment Rongar.
    When I say 'I'm quite happy', it just means that I usually always see what's wrong with what I'm doing, that's a problem for me to keep motivation. I agree with you about the citadel, the thing is, this is the first building I made and didn't intend on making buildings roof shadows that dark. There are so many layers of carbon on that citadel I was too lazy to correct it but I surely will in the futur.
    Also, the dark shadows of the buildings are too much in contrast with natural entities and that's a shame :'(

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Hi BlindBake - I just gave you some rep

This is a gorgeous map. I don't see much more you could improve with it. I would say this belongs in Finished Maps because its a quality piece of art.

Guild Expert

Very nice, you should be proud of this one.

Nice i like the shadows. Nice work.

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you like it

I wanted to make a coloured version with photoshop, so here it is, there's a bit a cartoonish feel I personnally like.

CaerdunhMapColour.jpg

Nice first map Blindblake! I personally like more the original version, it feels aged, and the pencil shades are great.
    You should work a bit more on the colored one: play a bit with layer modes, the darkness of the writings and add some light

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Very good pencil style, love it. I prefer the non colored version too. As Tom said you could adjust the opacity, or move the colored layers under the main one ?
    congrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast