Thread: *** September/October Mapping Challenge: Tick Tock ***

Default *** September/October Mapping Challenge: Tick Tock ***

Life is busy. There always seems a ton to do, commissions, work, family, and finding time to make a personal map or one for a challenge is often hard. So, the challenge this time is to complete a map within 5 hours.

The theme can be anything, though if you want inspiration you can look at any past challenge (or the previous wheel of prompts challenge).
    The map does not have to be completed in one sitting. Any timer can be used, though one that saves the time between each session is ideal (such as the windows stopwatch). As always we are relying on people to tell the truth as to their stated completion time.
    Because this is a two month challenge and the time limit is very short, there will be a slight adjustment to the usual rules for this challenge: you may have more than one entry.

Usual rules:
    1. Any map for this challenge cannot have been started before now
    2. Label your map thread like this: September/October 2024 Challenge: (your title here)
    3. Preface any work-in-progress pictures you post with the WIP tag button - it's in the toolbar on the second row down, towards the right. Or you can just type out ### Latest WIP ### Doing this allows the picture scraper to see your work and let the voters see it at the end of the month
    4. Post your final time upon completion of the map (optionally you can keep track of the time on each post)

The Challenge will run until the 1st of November (UTC).

Good Luck!

I'll have to ply myself to this one... I wanted to join the last challenge but put it off too long. Maybe I'll make up for it my tardiness by using the Wheel of Prompts.

So multiple entries are legal, you say? Also how much leniency are we afforded? Is it exactly five hours max limit or can you exceed it by a few minutes?
    Last edited by The Elderly Cartographer; 09-06-2024 at 01:04 PM.

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Do the five hours include the hour gained through the clocks going back?
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

November 3rd is the US time change so I'm safe!

Quote Originally Posted by The Elderly Cartographer View Post
    So multiple entries are legal, you say? Also how much leniency are we afforded? Is it exactly five hours max limit or can you exceed it by a few minutes?
    Yeah, feel free to enter multiple times. There'll only be one winner so it's not like there's an advantage to multiple entries.
    Re leniency, try to plan around 5hours but I'm not going to be the one to void your entry if you go over by 5mins or so

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Do the five hours include the hour gained through the clocks going back?
    No british time travel shenanigans Stopwatches don't run on summer time - use one of those

Interesting idea. Assuming (hoping actually) that I don't have to have some follow-up surgery in the next few weeks, I might try to participate since I have an inkling of an idea brewing in my head. My only concern would be, with multiple entries being allowed, is whether voters are voting for an individual entry or a "body of work." Not a huge concern, but just thought I would toss it out there for discussion.

Edit: Let me clarify "body of work." Suppose someone does Map A then decides to do Map B, except Map B is just Map A from a different perspective, or, perhaps, an addendum to Map A (think doing maps of individual city blocks that can be put together to make a larger map). To be clear, I am only mentioning this because that inkling of an idea I have is basically to do multiple versions of the same map from different perspectives and I don't want anyone to think I am trying to to take advantage of a little loophole in the rules.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 09-07-2024 at 09:01 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Yeah, feel free to enter multiple times. There'll only be one winner so it's not like there's an advantage to multiple entries.
    Well, one advantage will be that the more entries one posts the higher the chance of winning. If one map doesn't resonate with the voters another might...

But my reason is mainly because I have multiple ideas and, as you said, it is only 5 hour maps.

5 hours eh? There's a lot that can be done in that time, but I'd be cutting my process down by a tenth of the time. Given the circumstances, I may pick up a stop watch and give this one a go, it sounds fun, and accessible!

IR

Ha! Finally! A challenge I can complete