Thread: Hi everyone!

Default Hi everyone!

Greetings from the northern Rockies!

Basically, I've been DM'ing D&D games for a loooong time and have always enjoyed trying to make maps, whether of a dungeon or of a continent. (I find dungeon/castle floor plans to be the hardest and country maps the easiest, with above-ground natural-setting battle maps somewhere inbetween.) Since I'm poor I've only been using free things for the maps, from good old Paint (very hand for quick battle maps that don't require a lot of detail) to pyromancers.com for more detailed battle maps and inkarnate mapmaker for the latest country/continent maps. (I LOVE inkarnate and will be very sad when the day comes that I'll have to pay for it.)

My problem comes when trying to map cities/towns or built/manufactured dungeons/buildings. The latter mostly because I'm not an architect or an interior designer and the former because I don't have the time to painstakingly draw all the little buildings and roads in Paint and haven't yet found a free software that can help with that (that won't just completely randomize the city). I've seen a random city generator of which I can control a few measures but not exact placement of things.

Any ideas or suggestions for good programs or techniques for better RPG mapping are greatly appreciated!

Banned User

Hello KillerK, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276
    that includes a lot of information about different software packages.

From what you have described, I'd suggest GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    It's a poor man's version of photoshop (free) and has a lot of the capabilities you will need.

I'll look forward to seeing your first map posted here