Thread: Project Dubarne - question regarding mountain placement

Guild Applicant

Default Project Dubarne - question regarding mountain placement

I have recently started work on a new Earth-like world, and here's the area I began with:
    cZE8wlY.jpg
    (Part of my inspiration for this map was wanting something different from the usual one or two islands.)
    I'd really like to pin down where the river go before sorting out too much else, but to do that I kinda need to know where my mountain ranges are, which is what I've been having trouble with. Can anyone suggest how I should decide where to put the mountain ranges?

Excited to be here,
    Jack

Guild Applicant

Default Progress! rivers/mountain placement sorted

I've worked out where the rivers/mountain ranges are going:
    foV47NR.png
    I've started work on a design style for the mountains, but I'd like feedback on how it looks before committing to it for the whole map. Thanks in advance!

Things still to sort out:
    -Climate
    -Terrain colour
    -Everything else

EDIT: Here's a tentative version of 1 subcontinent:
    Map#3.png
    Last edited by JackHK; 06-13-2016 at 11:35 AM.

The position of the mountains depend on the tectonic activity of the planet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_...ate_boundaries
    There is no way to tell whether it's wrong or not if they are placed randomly.

Also, what's the scale of the map, how big is it?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Your best place to look is at the real world, have a browse of Google Earth or satellite views. Fantasy maps often tend to have maps running down the centre of a landmass, like in your island, but that's not at all realistic. Mountains are land which has been pushed up, either by outgassing from the mantle, volcanically by magma pushing up the land to make volcanoes, or by two continental plates colliding. The Andes are along the west coast of South America are created by the oceanic plate sliding under the continental plate, which pushes up the continent. Both the Swiss Alps and the Himalayas are caused by collisions - both India and Italy are ploughing northwards, creating a car crash of mountains to the north.

Really you'd be better off working out where the mountains are, and then working out the flow of the rivers, rather than the other way around. Although if you need to do it that way, they don't have to be mountains, just hills would do.