Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map for Trehörningen

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Wip Map for Trehörningen

Hi fellow cartographers!

Here's a WIP for a small map I'm doing for practice.

It is inspired by one of my favourite spots in the forest near where I live, just out of Stockholm, Sweden.
    The lake is called Trehörninge and it has a very cozy wind shelter by the shore. In the area you can find lots of beaver architecture, and mires where sometimes elks can be seen grazing

trehörninge_00.jpg

Copic multiners on paper.
    You can see on the lower right corner I started using a brush pen instead, but it offered too little stroke-control so I switched to multiliners 0.5, 0.25 and 0.05

I like it but the combination of the 2 perspectives, top down for most and iso/perspective for the elk, buildings and some other elements seem a bit off to me.
    But I sometimes feel that way about a number of maps that do this. Still, I like your line work.

Yes, I know what you mean.
    I'm trying to see if the mixed perspective can work, as I have some plans for a bigger, illustrative map that will feature some events and landmarks.

I think if you can get just a bit of perspective to the 'top down' section, and maybe a bit more 'top down' to the true perspective items then it should be able to work.
    The elk are closer to this mix. The building is a bit less so. I like the reeds in the water and the chewed tree stumps. they add a lot but they also add that perspective.
    So maybe a just a bit of perspective to the trees and I think you'd be in the right area.

I went by your site the other day. Looks like you have some new work on there.
    The main image with the eagle, rider and volcano is really wonderful. You have a lot of really nice pieces on there.

I have mixed feelings about the perspective differences, on one hand it seems messy and not thought out on the other I kinda like the mix. It makes me think of the hundred acres wood, and I absolutely love the way the elk. Either way the line work is great and I really like the feel of this so far!

I had another thought on this - it might not work as well at this scale.
    On a world or regional map, the combination of the two, top-down and perspective, isn't so drastic.
    But with a map at such a close range and small scale, the differences between the two are much more stark and might be why it looks so off.

Thank you guys for the feedback!

I'll try and see how this exercise turns out, and if it doesn't work I'll stick to a single consistent perspective for my project.

And thank you Edward, I'm glad you like my other illustrations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update: added basic colours

trehörninge_02.jpg

As a non-cartographer, I didn't notice the difference in perspective on the deer. I guess because I'm used to seeing that used on landmarks. Where you'll see the whole map top-down, but the landmarks will be drawn in with a slight side view. Like Keeps, significant trees, walled cities and especially lighthouses.

Your line art is excellent and I like the colors you choose so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast