Hello all!

I’m fairly newish to mapmaking, though I’ve been lurking on the mapmaking subreddit for a while now and I’ve dabbled with making small maps once or twice for RPG’s I’ve played in.

I last made a map about ten years ago for one of the above mentioned games, and didn’t have much cause to get back into it since then. However, a subreddit I follow (and mostly lurk in) had a post of someone asking if a book I really enjoyed had a map associated with it. I searched everywhere and couldn’t find one, so I thought it might be a fun challenge for myself to try making a map of the city in the book (it’s part of a larger world by the author - there’s a world map, but no city map).

I’m going through the book now to pull out references and note distances and features of the surrounding region, but in the meantime I’ve started actually reading up on mapmaking (Jared Blando’s books have been amazing, though I’ve also been reading a bit about mapmaking and cartography theory and history). I thought, once I had a few sample maps together and a rough sketch of what I thought the city might look like, that I could reach out to the author and ask if what I had in mind is what she envisioned.

Would that be super weird?

Anyway! Geriatric millennial saying hello to all you mapmaking buds. Happy to be here!