Thread: Aragwyll

Default Aragwyll

Greetings Cartographers!

I recently discovered this site, and after lurking through several threads, I've decided to get in on the action.

I'm a long time player of D&D and other roleplaying games, and for the last several years, my friends and I have been using a shared game world. There have been multiple iterations of maps for our setting over the years - beginning with one small kingdom, and has been expanded and revised several times. I have always been the primary cartographer and world builder, even when I have not been the one running the game. We started a new campaign recently (the last one having fizzled out over a year ago), and the current storyteller asked me for some maps and related details about the world. When I went to pull them up, I discovered I had misplaced or lost most of what we had. This then, is my reconstruction, revision, and expansion of the continent of Aragwyll.

First, I sketched out a quick and rough map from memory for the storyteller to use as a working reference while I worked on a nicer and more detailed map. Please forgive the poor scanning quality - its from a cellphone camera in less than perfect lighting. It's a starting place, and will all be completely painted over eventually anyway.

Scanned Pencil on Paper:
    Aragwyll - Pencils.jpg

Added a coastline in photoshop - with some revision to match the one basic regional map I was able to find:
    Aragwyll - coastline plus gwendire.jpg

Then I threw in a canvas texture and started trying to paint some mountains. I have mixed feelings about them. This is about the point that I started seeking out tutorials and samples of what others had done, and found this board.
    Aragwyll - terrain and canvas.jpg

Banned User

Hi Dreylin, Welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Thanks for the welcome and helpful links chick! I'm working my way through them and trying out some of the techniques.

This is a test of a sea, and some inked mountains. I wonder if I'm using the best style of mountains for the scale of my map though. Perhaps something a bit more top-down would be more appropriate for a continent.
    Aragwyll - ink and sea.jpg

Banned User

I think what you have done looks like a good start. The scale of mountains depends on the scale of the land. If that is a full continent, the mountains may be a bit large, or not If you are using Photoshop, you can make your mountains on a separate layer and then enlarge or shrink it until it looks right to you, so as to get the size right.

I think this is a great start and your mountains look good so far. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the glow around the coastline. It actually made me blink a couple of times when I opened your map, as my eyes were a little dazzled. It doesn't seem so bad when you're zoomed in, but when you look at the whole map I feel it's a little overwhelming. I would dial it back just a teeny bit.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree that the land looks like it has an outer glow, where what I want is the suggestion of shallow waters. I think I'll reduce the saturation on the sea in general a bit too. As for the mountains, while I like the style I have going, I think a bit higher angle view and smaller scale will help sell the map as a continent roughly the size of Australia. My next update will be after the weekend.

Looking forward to it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"