Thread: WIP: the Sarquin Desert

Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP: the Sarquin Desert

New campaign setting, the Sarquin Desert, especially the City of Blood, Barzhul, and the Nine Cities of the Ghalic Sea. Barzhul is one of the oldest cities in the world, and is known for it's captive shibboleth, called a god by some, leading to the city's numerous names: The Red Jewel of the Desert, The Godless City, City of Travelers, The Prison-City, and many more.

SARQUIN.jpg

This is already looking quite lovely. I really like the tribal symbols, and the way you have drawn the rivers, they look quite nice. Might I ask what's the name of the font you are using?

Guild Apprentice

Thank you! I'm not certain about the color scheme but it's ok for now. The font is called XXII ARABIAN-ONENIGHTSTAND Bold, found it on Dafont. I think I'll change it to a more normal oldstyle font later

Guild Apprentice

Progress! I've modified the font a little more, and done some other small tweaking, like adding small towns and caravanserais. Started on a background/color scheme I think fits better, and added some texture.

SARQUINbackground.jpg

Any ideas on how to make this more indicative of different geographies? Can't quite settle on symbols, like for "scrubland" or "jungle" or "swamp".
    Last edited by micaholism; 01-31-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Update! Added some border decoration, and some color variations in the background. Fixed some errors I saw, an issue with some of the lower case "t"s

SarquinDesert.jpg

Nice job! The reddish color is particularly eye-catching and appropriate for a desert setting. If it's alright, there are two points that I think need a bit of improvement. Firstly, the quality of the texture you're using here is too low. I think using a texture with better resolution is essential for the overall quality of the map. Secondly, I would suggest that you move around the placement of "Desert" in Sarquin Desert. Right now the letter "D" is beneath the city symbol, the label of the city and a part of the river, which obscure it too much. Shifting it so that it's not under so many other elements of the map might be a good idea.

I also have a couple suggestions, though they might not necessarily improve the map. Maybe you can test them out and see whether it works or not? Maybe adding a dark glow effect set to multiply around the white labels will help improve their readability, especially in the parts of the map that lean more toward yellow? Also maybe you can experiment with the color of the rivers and the lake/ocean? They are a bit tinged with green, which especially shows when the map is viewed in a smaller size (the yellowness of the areas around them make them appear greener than they are, I assume), and the color green doesn't sit particularly well with the reddish tone of the map. Of course, in the end it is your personal taste that determines what looks best, so feel free to dismiss this idea

Overall, as I said before, the map is quite charming