Thread: A new WIP to sate my aspergers

Wip A new WIP to sate my aspergers

Hey here! Thanks for the positive response on my last map that I posted! Here's something new that I've been fiddling around with on my Wacom. I've never really tried a fully digital map before, at least not one that I didn't intend to use as a base for a hand sketch. Enjoy!
    Map.jpg

Question

Here's an update! What do ya'll think of the trees?
    Map.png

This is an excellent start! Welcome to digital mapping Overall I have mostly good things to say about this- I like the land shapes, the parchment background, and your style of drawing mountains. Forests in my experience are the hardest landform to draw well, and I like what you have here. Of course, it depends on what you intend to do with them- if you're going to have some towns in the middle, or a name for the forests, that style may be a little too dark and striking, as it will be hard to read text over it. On the other hand, if you're just going to leave as it, it looks fine. I might prefer the tree icons to be a little smaller, but of course that would be more work for you, so feel free to ignore my suggestions :p

Hello Avrian

I agree with Tiluchi for the most part, though I would like to add a suggestion that you might like to think of using 3-4 very slightly different tree symbols, or the one that you have will start to look like a pattern when you make it smaller. At the moment the trees are kind of dwarfing the mountains, which is a pity since the mountains are pretty good

Thanks for the feedback! It did occur to me to use several variants, but it was like 2 am when I started the started pasting the trees around. And there is a problem with making the trees smaller, since I’m using paint.net they are extremely pixelated and can start to suck as they get smaller. But I’ll make an attempt! Thanks again! I’ll post another update soon

I don't know anything about Paint.net. Is it possible to make or import your own brushes?

If it is, then I'm sure there must be quite a few tree brushes available, either here on this site in the resources forum, or on the web generally. I draw or render most of my own brushes so I've never really looked before. Only seen them in passing. Unfortunately I don't have any ready made side view tree brushes you could use.

I spent a while looking for resources here. There's no index to the resources forum, so I'm afraid it does take some time to look through the threads here. I came up with this one, which might help?

Trouble is, like I said before, I don't know anything at all about Paint.net.

Looking good. Keep it up!
    Cartography is fun.

Im pretty sure I cant use a custom brush in Paint.Net because of the brush configuration (it's like gimp and paint combined but with less annoying controls than gimp and better quality than paint) which only allows you to vary opacity, hardness, color, and width. Thanks any way!