Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATLAS ELYDEN #7 - Laaskha

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default ATLAS ELYDEN #7 - Laaskha

Second of the territories annexed by the Korachani empire following the Archpotentate Malichar’s rise to power, Laaskha was then and remains now a militant culture famed for its unique tradition of employing spirithosts in battle. In their most basic form, spirithosts are artificially-maintained bodies imbued with the spirits of great past generals, allowing them to impart their wisdom to those in the present. So important were the spirithosts in their culture that a great hall, still standing, was constructed to house both the vessels and the spirits. There, in the Temple of the Spirithosts, they are venerated as great cultural heroes and champions of the Laaskhan people.

But Laaskha is more than the followers of these millennia-old champions. It is a land of borders - to the west, beyond the Gulf of Skaros, are foreign lands without the Korachani empire. It is a land of many people - lascar, Korachani, Vaalkan, Almagesti - all mingle in its cities. It is a land whose people, disparate as they may be, are united by belief (faith in the Church of the Machine is absolute and its ancestral god, the seven-armed martial deity Seithenyn, was successfully converted into a major saint of the Church of the Machine long ago) and a hard-working nature.

That hard-working nature was put to the test when, early in the fourth millennium RM, it became apparent that the oceans of Elyden were slowly drying up. Inch-by-inch, the coastline was expanding, leaving coastal settlements surrounded by mudflats that allowed sea access only during high-tide. Over centuries even the tides could not rescue such cities from becoming land-locked. Some cities were relocated at great cost, others had new ports built closer to the new coastlines. Still others toiled to deepen their harbours, but the fate of such cities was inevitable. The Laaskhans relocated and rebuilt many times over the past centuries, and the ruins of abandoned cities pepper the land, in some places over a hundred miles from the present coastline. Such cities might be forgotten by other nations, but the Laaskhans look at them as reminders of their past and the dedication that marks them as Laaskhans.

more on the Atlas Elyden can be found in the main thread - HERE

Laaskha - small.jpg

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

This atlas style map is beautiful! I love it! How long does one of these usually take you?

Another lovely map int he project! Really inspires me to want to go back and spend more time with my own campaign world.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Weber View Post
    This atlas style map is beautiful! I love it! How long does one of these usually take you?
    I've been doing them since January and this is my 7th so far, so just over 1 a month. I was hoping for 2 a month, though with other commitments (including a few unforeseen commissions) I haven't been able to keep up my intended pace.

Work also comes sporadically as i work on the maps in 2 stages - first of all I do the topographies on a very large continental map and then crop a region and work on it separately. At the moment I'm working on a bunch of regions that have topographies already mapped out, so that speeds up the process. Soon I'll have to stop the maps and concentrate on the rest of the topography, but once that's done I'll be able to get a good 4-5 regions out of it before i have to start on topographies again.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Another lovely map int he project! Really inspires me to want to go back and spend more time with my own campaign world.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Great! campaign worlds are good as there's always different things you can concentrate on if your attention span starts to wane

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

This atlas keeps getting bigger and ever more impressive!

This right here is very fine indeed! I have no other comment except bravo!

Amazing work on all your maps. I admire the ease with which you knew keeping the same style for your maps without divert you a second.

Well, the usual top notch quality of your atlas! I hope you'll have the time to work on your guildword map again...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Lovely map, really like the atlas style. Though I'd like the dotted bits explained in the legend. I'm assuming the coastal bits are swamp or salt marsh, what about the bit in the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Lovely map, really like the atlas style. Though I'd like the dotted bits explained in the legend. I'm assuming the coastal bits are swamp or salt marsh, what about the bit in the mountains?
    Since these are individual pages from what's intended to be a complete atlas I havent included a key on each page, rather there will be one generic one in the first pages of the book. It's still a WIP, but so far what i have is THIS

hopefully that should answer any queries about the key

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast