Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Arata

Guild Artisan

Default Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Arata

I have never done a regional map before, and at 150 miles wide, I guess I would consider this a regional map. So this should be fun.

I have it all in my head, now its just a matter of getting it to the paper.

Not exactly what I was going for so far. But I am liking it, at least the feel of it. In my mind the water is a little darker, more indigo, haven't quite got the color right with the parchment, etc. or amount of it(seems like a lot of water), but I think that will change as the map progresses, with scales, compass, title etc. The texture and color of the land is just a stand in, nothing to it yet. Backstory is nearly there, probably with the next update.

### Latest WIP ###
    IslandMap02a.jpg

Nice, I like the water color, maybe a little darker,,,,but it looks good.

Welcome to the challenge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great start Kier
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Artisan

Been working a bit today. I am getting there. I think. I like the forest texture, but still a little much, too thick I think. Need to get the water color look to bleed through more. It will not be all over the Island just there for now as I work on the mountains, etc. The mountain in the right is close to what I am thinking of trying to achieve, but not 100% there. But wanted to get something up. Needs some work though.

### Latest WIP ###
    IslandMap02e.jpg

Edited: I am hoping when the total island is done, the mountain won't look so harsh. I guess time will tell. I am torn between which view to focus on, the little photo, the mountain looks too much. Larger picture it looks right.
    Last edited by Kier; 10-21-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Guild Artisan

Still messing around. Will find something I like at some point. Maybe.

### Latest WIP ###
    IslandMap02f.jpg

Guild Artisan

I think I am getting there. The idea is nearly the whole Island is mountainous, I would say eventually 70% of it will be covered in forest. I am thinking this will be a good base. Maybe some work on the ridgeline, but feeling pretty good this morning as far as general form. Then all the fun really begins. Which area has cliffs, rivers, valleys, etc. And General clean up around the coasts.

### Latest WIP ###
    IslandMap02g.jpg

This is coming along nicely

Would I be messing up your plans by suggesting that there may be a bit too much ocean around the island?

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is coming along nicely

Would I be messing up your plans by suggesting that there may be a bit too much ocean around the island?
    No, lol. Not really. I think I said that in the 1st post. I put more water than I intended, and decided to leave until I figure the compass, title, etc out. That may soften it. Figured it was easier to delete than add. I originally just wanted a hint of the ocean and I still may go that route as I progress. Maybe like spaced rings constricting closer they get to the Island. Darker blue to lighter.

Guild Artisan

Alright, I am thinking she is nearly there, at least the base layout. Feeling pretty good about it. Unless I look at it in a couple hours and decide I hate it

On to rivers, valleys, cliffs, swamps, barren peaks, and on and on and on

### Latest WIP ###
    IslandMap02h.jpg

Edited: My problem before was, I was trying to rush it. Having never done a regional map, or mountains, or rolling hills, I tried to rush it and doing it in 1 bump map, instead of the 4 I ended up using. I should have known better. Nothing is 1 and done if its automatic. Even still I have some hand painting to do.
    Last edited by Kier; 10-22-2017 at 11:36 AM.

This is starting to look pretty good

I was a bit concerned when I saw you had filled the whole shape with the same tree texture, but the relief shading is already working to break it up quite a bit. Maybe you are already planning to add a couple of clearings or cliffs in places to further break it up?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast