Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Vanatun

Blog Entries

Default Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Vanatun

Vanatun - a tropical island and important naval base located in New Caribbean just north of the Canadian Deserts. The Admiral of the High Seas had this mock up painted by the best airship reconnaissance illustrators and now it hangs in his office.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really love the border!

Oh, nice guilt frame work there, Red

Is this the finished thing already, or will you be doing a bit more work to it yet?

Blog Entries

The frame is from a public domain photo of some famous piece of artwork on the wikicommons that I had never heard of.

I doubt ill get any more time to work on it. I just have a bit of weekend time and then its back to the grind ! If there is anything major wrong with it then I might be able to make a few changes to it - perhaps next weekend

(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rt_Project.jpg)
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-22-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Clean, simple, clear..

Great work

Blog Entries

Thanks - just put in a link to the frame on wikimedia commons on the last post.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those Admirals get all they point to... probably what they learn at West POINT.. hehehehehe... .. nice little map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Real nice map RedRobes. Welcome to the challenge.

Guild Artisan

Nice Map. The frame is a nice touch with the story. I need to learn to do rivers and ravines. Yours look great.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys,

I nabbed a frame because I never know what to do to make one up myself. I am going to rapidly run out of storylines to enable me to nab one already done. Then ill be stuck.

I made my usual height map based on contours so it would be easy from that point to work out where the rivers would be (see the 3D pic) but I used an app which is similar to Wilbur where it works out the rivers for you from the heightmap information. So mine erodes down the height map and then you can ask it to shade the terrain and do all of the texturing using a texture compositor app. If you want to know the full process then I can post a lot of the stages. Its possible to do them all using Wilbur and Gimp but personally I would find that trickier because I am not so familiar with how to use those apps properly. Normally I might use linux and Gimp etc but I have been sat watching telly and films whilst doing it and so using my windows laptop so its and old Paint Shop Pro and my windows version of the tool set.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast