Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Village of Cliffborn

Default June/July 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Village of Cliffborn

### Latest WIP ###
    image.jpeg

So here is a quick sketch of Cliffborn. A small village that has a dark secret. Strange doings have brought destruction to the town, but no one seems to know why.

I will flesh it out as I go. I think I can get my computer running well enough for this challenge. The map may change drastically as I go, as well. The small pond in the northwest has an underground tunnel to a cavern in the cliffs and it is from there that the trouble starts and led to the destruction. Not sure if it will be an attack or magical catastrophe.

For some reason the thumbnail is sideways but clicking on it it seems correct

Nice start.
    If you used your cellphone to take the picture, the phone adds metadata to the picture that tells which way to orient it. Once you edit the photo in your computer that data is usually lost and the graphic behaves as you expect it to.

Nice start. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The other entries are looking great. Not sure mine holds up, but still working on it as this is fun to do and a good learning experience.

I thought I would take a stab at doing it as an isometric map. My "Secret" for the map is the underground tunnel from the pond to a subterranean cavern linked to an ancient tower on the cliffs overlooking the village. It is also the source of the destruction that has befallen the village. My illustration was going to be the isometric layout of this secret cavern, but it made me want to do the whole map that way. So instead of a top down map with isometric illustration I have the whole map that way.

Anyway, comments welcome. Still have a bunch to do. The coloring is very rough at this point and same for the lines. Still laying out the position of the buildings and which ones will be damaged. Hope I will have time to complete it by the deadline. Still a couple weeks away so if I stay on it I may be fine.

Also, I have a story to explain my map but I haven't had time to write it all down nicely to post it here. So story to come.

### Latest WIP ###
    Cliffborn v1.jpg

This looks good, I like the cliff and the road down to the sea. Cool elements so far, like the transparent underground waterpool. Look forward to seeing this develop.

"So, stranger, you want to know about Cliffborn, eh? Well, let me tell you. Cliffborn is a small village with a long history. If you ask folks around here when the village was founded, they may ponder a moment and say 'A long time ago'. Not sure if anyone can recall when the village wasn't here. Been here all my life, and that's saying somethin'. My family goes back generations. Some believe that before there was this village there was some kind of castle or keep or town on this very spot. I'm not sure, but farmers do unearth carved or worked stone when plowing their fields, from time to time.

As for the name, well some say Cliffborn is named after the ancient tower, up on the cliff, that sits overlooking the village. Not sure if that's true, but it's good enough for me. The tower itself...well, that's another story. Getting touched by the tower's shadow on a full moon is bad luck, don't you know. Now, don't look at me like that, it's true! All around the base of that tower is etched into the very stone some kind of scribblin'. Now I don't have much schoolin' but that ain't in no language I ever heard of. And I heard a lot. And then there's this. WHERE'S THE DOOR!. Who would go about building a fancy tower and not put a door in it? How you supposed to get in there?

Folk with sense stay clear of that tower and pay it no mind. Except old Jebnai Downer. Came back just a few months ago after being away for many years. A short time before the troubles began. Odd one, that Jebnai. Knew him as a kid, I did. Always an oddness about him. Pokin' around the tower, always wantin' to know why things the way they is. Should have been workin' his Pa's field, he should have. Odd one that boy was. But as he got into manhood he up and left Cliffborn wantin' adventure or some such. One of the few who ever left the village and surrounding farms. Don't know as one would want to. Everything's just fine right here. But gone he was and then he came back 30 or so years later. And still odd as ever. Wearing some kind of fancy robes, beard down to his chest, and a pointy had, if you can believe that! And just as before, pokin' around the tower again.

Then a few days ago the troubles began. Ground would rumble from time to time. Some crops in their prime of growin' just withered and died for no reason. Livestock actin' all jittery. Jansen Moon, over on the farm east of here said his best milk cow gave sour milk! Then I hear someone tell it that two nights ago, old Jebnai was seen walkin' right into Falker's Pond, clothes and everything, until just his pointy hat stuck out. Then there was a glow deep in the water and 'poof' he was gone. At least that's how I heard it.

And then...the searing light.

It was the night after Jebnai disappeared when a glow began at the base of the tower. Magdin Kroll, a lass that works over at the general store, said she was out for a moonlight stroll - more as likely out for a moonlight romp with Canner's boy the way she carries on, but you didn't hear it from me - she said she saw that scribblin' at the base of the tower begin to glow. Then out forth from the very tip of the tower a beam of purple light came and cut a line, neat as any plow field, through Wheatfield Inn, Karri Gin's house, and into the village green.

Now if you have any sense, stranger, you would be best to move on. I know I've thought about it once or twice this day. But I've been here all my life and guess I might as well stay here the rest of it. So best move on your way, we can take care of ourselves, we always have, and hope nothin else comes our way, troublewise."

So here's a bit of story about the village of Cliffborn. Won't have time today to post an update. Maybe tomorrow. It's about time to get ready for work. Just wanted to get this posted and see what people think.
    Last edited by Savage Orc; 06-29-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Fantastic story and a nice start on your map colouring. Any updates to share?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Not sure if this is much of an update. Kind of a redo as far as coloring goes. even though the original coloring was just a rough in. The color I have now is rough as well and needs more work. Just haven't had time this month to do a whole lot. And there is so much to do too. I am trying a new paper texture as well, wanted to see how it looked.

It's not much to look at, but wanted to post something. Comments welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Cliffborv2.jpg

Thanks for the comments, ChickPea and snodsy.

The map is coming along nice, interesting story too.

I just haven't been happy with my results so far, like the paper texture, coloring, etc..., so I am reworking some elements. I hope to get some more done before the deadline. Been working on so many different things I really haven't placed my village except for the inn. Guess I need to focus on getting that drawn in with the damage.

Either way it's been fun and a good learning experience. Still have lots to do.

Let me know what you think. Is this version better? Worse? Prefer earlier versions?

### Latest WIP ###
    Cliffborn v3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast