Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice map: Heartvale – all coloring advice and suggestions appreciated!

Wip Practice map: Heartvale – all coloring advice and suggestions appreciated!

A couple of days back I started a quick regional map with the purpose to try some new things, and practice what I dread the most of all in mapmaking – digital coloring(PS). What you can see here is just a quick 1 hour map base, a "attempt" at a frame (something I realize I tend to avoid in almost all my maps), and three 15 minutes illustrations. However, I have now reached the point of coloring and I just can't get it right. I think the city illustrations came out alright, though I can't figure out how to color the mountains, the landmass or the water so they work with the illustrations theme. I just keep returning to the mountains because they bother me so much. They torture me.

So I figured, why not turn towards the guild for some help, and finally deal properly with this Devil of mine!

What I'm looking for is simply suggestion when it comes to coloring the mountains, the landmass and the water. Or possibly just directions towards guides here at the guild that might help me with this. Perhaps it's all just all in my head, perhaps it's simply the fact that the style of the illustrations and the map don't work together, or perhaps this map simply would serve better as BW. Whatever the reason is, any and all suggestions will probably help me get back on track!

Linking my progress so far in two different versions, and the BW version.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,
    Tainotim

That's a really nice little map you have there, Karl. The drawing is great, and the mountains have a really nice whimsical/unreal feel to them.

As for colouring,
    --First, it really isn't essential. The map works fine as a B&W.
    --Second, the colouring of the cities is good, but it might be worth trying some alternatives with the building roofs. For example, instead of a single strong red, have also an orange/brown one, and a slightly pinkish one mixed in to give it a bit of variety. But, then again, part of the appeal of the map is its rather cartoony appearance, which it would be sad to lose.
    --Third, the colouring of the grass in the second map is Fine, I think. No need to change it. Same for the trees
    --As for the mountains, I am hardly an expert, nor is my approach especially original, but I'll explain it anyway: three layers (from bottom to top: base colour, shadows, highlights). I then choose a brown colour, with a strong amount of yellow and green mixed in (but a lot less green than you have used), and paint the base layer. The shadows and highlights are simply low opacity black and white respectively. I sometimes also paint a bit of snow on the peaks, too. The way I do it, I really try to emphasise the ridge lines and valleys. That might be difficult for the mountains you've drawn.

I don't know if that was helpful or not, but I wish you luck with this.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Very nice work on this one! I really dig it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

I tried a couple of things just to see how it looked. I chose the second map because I liked the blue-green grass color the best.

I colored the water to match the inset, but slightly lighter (just because I thought it looked better).

I took a very opaque brush with brown to match the building roofs, but darker, and shaded the mountains more heavily.

This was just on top of your existing map, so if you try a couple of different layers of shading and experiment with order and opacity, you can probably get an effect you really like.

heartvale test CY.jpg

Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Last edited by Chick; 04-14-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Essentially, I agree with THW;
    It looks great in B/W, it's very clear and balanced and with bold contrast, and has just the right amount of stuff going on to neither look confusing or empty (which easily happens with B/W maps, in my opinion…). But of course, nothing wrong with adding color, and out of the two versions, I prefer the greener one; it looks more inviting, like a place I'd like to visit

The cities would look even more interesting with a bit of variation in the roof colors. I really like how you drew them though.

The mountains would pop out more with some highlights. Not sure how the best way to do that digitally would be (THW's method sounds good to me though).

Wow! Thanks for all the great and thorough advices so quick, and of course the kind words! I will definitely see what I can do with the map from this. Really helpful Don't really have much more to say then thanks and I will put this great advices to good use soon as I have time so I can post a update.

You fellow cartographers never seize to shows your awesome merits

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Very cool, and great detail on those cut-out sections.

I think your coloring skills are pretty darn good. I like what you've done so far. Looks like a water color painting. Kudos

It's looking great, coloured or not! For the colors, it's already good and I would just second THW about the roofs colors being a bit strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast