Thread: WIP: Do these look like mountains?

Question WIP: Do these look like mountains?

I'll try to keep this somewhat simple, but I should explain the constraints I'm working with.

To begin with, this is a very big map. It will be very detailed. It's around 14000 pixels wide. To Earth's scale, that would make every pixel a little over 22 miles.
    Here's a view of the full map's landmasses to give a sense of scale.
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 183447.png

I'm starting with this section at the bottom left.
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 183434.png

Closer up, the mountains look like this. The lines will be a part of the final maps style, but I acknowledge it might make it harder to tell what you're looking at.
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 184508.png

The real question here is: Do these look like mountains? I'm going for a more topographic view, rather than the symbols fantasy maps typically use.

They can be interpreted as heavily stylized hillshaded terrain that's run through a screen process, yes. However, the level of detail on that last map makes it feel on the order of a few tens of miles across (maybe a couple of hundred across if I try really hard). But as stylized abstract mountain representations, they work just fine.

What's your map projection here?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    They can be interpreted as heavily stylized hillshaded terrain that's run through a screen process, yes. However, the level of detail on that last map makes it feel on the order of a few tens of miles across (maybe a couple of hundred across if I try really hard). But as stylized abstract mountain representations, they work just fine.

What's your map projection here?
    Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. Could you explain a little more?

Are you saying my mountains are too small? What do you mean by "Map projection"?

I think, the style really works very good. It´s now depending on the scale of your world and how the rest of the map would look like, f. e. potential rivers, cities and so on. As far as dimensions are concerned, you have to see what you are planning and whether it fits