Thread: Recently got into mapping for DnD

Default Recently got into mapping for DnD

Hello everyone!

My name is Tyler and I recently got into making my own maps for my homebrew DnD campaign. I am currently working on a project I hope to start running by the end of this summer.

I started by using Dungeon Designer 3 to make battlemaps for my group to keep them more immersed in the game over using a dry erase battle map. I've had great responses from my group and am now making the leap into full world mapping. I'm currently using Campaign Cartographer 3 but am hoping to get proficient enough in Photoshop to make something in my own style.

Hi Tyler and welcome to the Guild. There are a few CC3+ users posting regularly (check out Mouse's map here) and you can do a lot with the software if you're willing to spend the time learning it. Obviously Photoshop will give you complete control over every aspect of your map, though.

I'll look forward to seeing some of your work, and if you need help with anything, just ask.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Er... sorry about that, ChickPea *guilty smile* I'd turned the finished maps album private again after finding nearly all of them on another site just recently.

All public again now, though

Hello Tamhelsel

It often pays to use more than one software app to make a map. To have more than one tool in the toolbox is a wise move I tend to create hybrid maps these days - some of the layers I use in GIMP are directly exported from the initial CC3 map.

The map that ChickPea linked to, however, is purely a CC3 map with many of my own fills and lots of my own tree symbols incorporated into it.

Looking forward to seeing your first WIP thread.

Happy Mapping

Oops, sorry Mouse! Didn't give that a thought when there were several comments below the image.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Oh no! Don't worry about it. All fixed now

That map looks amazing! I just started experimenting with making my own symbols to use in CC3, so we'll see how that goes. And I did just post my first WIP post under the world map forum if you wanted to take a look.

In case you're unaware, there are more than 20,000 free third party symbols available for CC3+ (but not CC3). The information is in the stickies atop the ProFantasy Forum list or on our website:

http://www.vintyri.org
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    In case you're unaware, there are more than 20,000 free third party symbols available for CC3+ (but not CC3). The information is in the stickies atop the ProFantasy Forum list or on our website:

http://www.vintyri.org
    Awesome. Thanks!