Thread: Dm'ing a hex crawl adventure, so made a hex based area map!

Map Dm'ing a hex crawl adventure, so made a hex based area map!

I know it kind of looks like a settlers of catan, board... Anyhoo, CC is most appreciated!
    hex world map.jpg

Praise Sweet Hexes!

Janston here,

I really enjoy your landmark illustrations for these hexes. They're crisp, clean, clear and just all around sexy. Great work. If I were to offer a criticism, it'd be that your overall landmass shape appears like it had to conform to the canvas size, making it look a bit square.

I love the idea though, and your execution is spot on. Great work!

Hi joeyballast,

This map looks good and fun to me ! There is indeed a settlers of Catan vibe but that's not a bad thing. As Janston said, the illustrations are great and I would also say that the landscape could have more variation. Another remark, I'd rework the background color of your tiles so that you get a sens of the terrain by looking at the color. All in all it is a good map !

You've drawn some fantastic elements here, I love the crisp way you've drawn them, and indeed those would look good on a Settler's of Catan board.
    I would love to see this in a non-hex map too.
    The rocky coast isn't my favorite, somehow it looks different from the others, not quite as clean.
    Overall, really, really nice!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Janston View Post
    Janston here,

I really enjoy your landmark illustrations for these hexes. They're crisp, clean, clear and just all around sexy. Great work. If I were to offer a criticism, it'd be that your overall landmass shape appears like it had to conform to the canvas size, making it look a bit square.

I love the idea though, and your execution is spot on. Great work!
    It is rather square, isn't it? I may redo the map with a more random landform in mind. Glad you like the hexes, though! Up til now I've tried to keep things kind of rough and sketchy (which is not in any way my style). I think I'll stick to smooth simplicity from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Hi joeyballast,

This map looks good and fun to me ! There is indeed a settlers of Catan vibe but that's not a bad thing. As Janston said, the illustrations are great and I would also say that the landscape could have more variation. Another remark, I'd rework the background color of your tiles so that you get a sens of the terrain by looking at the color. All in all it is a good map !
    Reworking the tiles so they have a more saturated colour is something I'll try the next go around. In this round I wanted to keep the icon mid value and saturated compared to the background. The reverse may look pretty cool, though. I'll try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    You've drawn some fantastic elements here, I love the crisp way you've drawn them, and indeed those would look good on a Settler's of Catan board.
    I would love to see this in a non-hex map too.
    The rocky coast isn't my favorite, somehow it looks different from the others, not quite as clean.
    Overall, really, really nice!
    Yeah, I'm no ta fan of the rocky coast, either. It was one of those "I need another map element... Quick because the game starts in twenty minutes...".

I may try this as a non-hex map... We shall see!