Thread: fake boardgame need comments

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Default fake boardgame need comments

Hi!
    I'd like start to paint some new maps for the boardgame market but I don't have much experiences in this one.
    I attached here the first one, do you have some suggestion?
    Thank you people! mondo gioco.jpg

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

1. Think in terms of interaction with the map by human beings. You want it to visually engage the eye, which never disturbs the map, but you also need to ensure that the map can be physically function. By that, what gets placed directly on the map itself, and at what specific points?

2. For physical interaction by clumsy human hands, does the map provide sufficient room to accommodate the trinkets laid upon it in such a way to keep assets of different players from intruding into assets of other players?

3. Rethink your use of lettering in specific instances. I had to zoom in, to discern the word Wind. The curvy, cloudy-esque flourish partially obscured the word. The word Cuba needs a thicker font. It is the main font, location-wise, on the map. Zoom out from your map, and see what stays easily discernible.

4. I very much like the chosen color scheme for the landmasses and the oceans.

Guild Member Guild Supporter

I too like the colors on the map - very vibrant and eye catching.

I agree with GrimFinger that the text/font/typeface is too fancy. Especially if the game is going to be played with multiple people around a table - some of them will be trying to read the titles from the side, or even upside down! Making it easier for those players to understand won't make them feel confused or mildly annoyed if they're not the player sat 'in front' of the board.

Have you thought about what color pieces you're going to put on the board? I don't know the game, but if there's more than, say, 3 players, then you might have trouble making player-tokens stand out. The vibrancy of the board (which I do like) kind of dominates all yellow, blue, and green. Which would mean you'd be left with reds, oranges, purples, white, and black. Not a terrible thing, but a red token on a green board (depending on the tone of the green and red) might be difficult for color-blind players to quickly spot. I think this is why a lot of boardgame maps are so muted - it's so that the player pieces (which are the most important elements) pop brightly visible.

That said, I really like the swirly blue curves you have on the ocean areas - though they seem more white colored in the middle and left of the map, than the teal colored curves in the top right. Should they be the same, or is that intentional?