Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacarus - Map in the style of Braun & Hogenburg

Guild Journeyer

Default Bacarus - Map in the style of Braun & Hogenburg

So I have little to no artistic skill. However, I really love the perspective city scapes done by Braun and Hogenburg. So, in order to learn and become better I thought I'd do my best to imitate one of their maps, and see what happens.

Anyway, for now I only have this terrible shot because I don't have a camera with me in the dorm, but it should get easier to see once I start inking. Also most shading/extra stuff is a placeholder for now.

IMG_3214.jpg

Usually when I ink stuff I completely ruin it, so fingers crossed it actually works out this time. If you know anything about hatching/cross hatching with pens you could share that'd be fantastic. This is definitely unfamiliar territory for me.

For someone with little to no artistic skull, this looks amazing! Can't wait to see it inked. I'm a great fan of Braun and Hogenburg as well, so you've got my attention!

You are artistically skilled and even gifted, no doubt on that ! I'll wait with excitement the next step and if you're unsure, I'd recommend scanning the sketch before inking so that you keep the digital option opened for the inking part.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'd recommend scanning the sketch before inking so that you keep the digital option opened for the inking part.
    Yes, this, totally. Everytime. ^^^^
    I always get a clean scan before doing anything. Even a really good pic with phone.
    Is always better to have that. I actually even scan at different significant stages in case I mess something up.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I actually even scan at different significant stages in case I mess something up.
    Could not agree more (learned that by messing my hand drawn maps with my novice copic skills).
    Last edited by ThomasR; 08-25-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Guild Journeyer

6XPHGQR.jpg

So here is the update. Just realized I forgot to rotate it, whoops. Anyway I'd love to see it if someone who works digitally wants to color or or somesuch, as I only work with at most shades of grey. I also plan to redo the top castle thing because it currently looks plain stupid. Thanks for all the kind comments!

Guild Journeyer

IMG_3236.JPG

Quick update with the full inking and shading. Might try to color it if I can find a good tutorial/program. On to the fun little detail stuff!

Looks awesome Samstego. Please do colour it when you find time.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This looks fantastic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast