Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Underworld,, NOW with a Prize for the winner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Underworld,, NOW with a Prize for the winner

Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Underworld

Traditionally in RPGs and movies, Underworld refers to realms that lie beneath ours. But that leaves a lot of room for creative interpretation. For this challenge make a map of the Underworld, what ever that means to you... so you could do a cave system, or a whole underground city, or a hollow earth type setting, or the sewer system under a city and what lives down there, or what ever your creative minds come up with.

Use your imagination. Use your skills. Have some fun. Win a silver compass while we still have some left, and win a book on Fantasy Mapping by Jesper Schmidt!

The Challenge will run until the 14th of November (more or less) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass.

As usual, title your threads: "Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a new WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.

BIG NEWS / READ THIS Jesper Schmidt is a Cartographer/author who has recently released a book on Fantasy World Mapping. SO, whoever wins this months lite challenge is going to receive a really cool book on mapping (in PDF or other electronic formats) courtesy of Mr. Schmidt.
    Here is a link to his website. Fantasy Map Making

3d-render-book-transparent_alt.png

And a message from the Author, Jesper Schmidt:

Hi all,

I’m honored to offer the winner a free copy of my fantasy map making book. I love creating maps myself, and my works of fantasy fiction would not be the same without a map in it.
    I began creating maps already as a young child, and have never looked back J.

Being very active on Twitter, I originally noticed many of the beautiful maps coming out of your Guild. When I later had my map book released, I thought it a perfect fit for you guys. Just because, you’re awesome. No other reason really.

After a short business trip to Cairo this week, I’m now back in cold and rainy Denmark where I’m working on book 2 in my fantasy trilogy. I also like creating videos on YouTube. I release new content every week. If you are interested check it out here: http://bit.ly/1WIwIVC

Looking forward to donate the book to the winner. Best of luck to you all.

Jesper
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-22-2016 at 09:16 AM.

intriguing idea! You know... I've never actually competed a dungeon or cavern layout... except for my little inner world battlemap. I might actually have to give this a try!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I'm always up for more challenges!!!

...though, alas, it is time dependent...so we'll see if I can get an entry in. I'll probably try and get something more simple done, though I suppose I need to find some time to finish my Vampire map first.

OK so for a little more incentive, please look back at my 1st post. I have added info on a Grand Prize that has been donated for the winner.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

That is ridiculously awesome, Kudos to Keeper Schmidt both for the book and the generosity, that's excellent. Umm... Is Mr. Schmidt a member of the guild and I'm all cherries? Good luck to all the entrants!

That looks like a really cool book. Very generous!

Now all I have to do is try and think of an original idea, then map my socks off! LOL

EDIT: Well that came out wrong didn't it! What I meant was... all I CAN do, is get an idea and map my socks off
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.

A message from the author who is donating the prize, Jesper Schmidt:

Hi all,

I’m honored to offer the winner a free copy of my fantasy map making book. I love creating maps myself, and my works of fantasy fiction would not be the same without a map in it.
    I began creating maps already as a young child, and have never looked back J.

Being very active on Twitter, I originally noticed many of the beautiful maps coming out of your Guild. When I later had my map book released, I thought it a perfect fit for you guys. Just because, you’re awesome. No other reason really.

After a short business trip to Cairo this week, I’m now back in cold and rainy Denmark where I’m working on book 2 in my fantasy trilogy. I also like creating videos on YouTube. I release new content every week. If you are interested check it out here: http://bit.ly/1WIwIVC

Looking forward to donate the book to the winner. Best of luck to you all.

Jesper

That's a really cool set of videos by a really cool guy. Thanks!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice idea, Bogie*, and a great prize for the winner.

* Although you ninja'd me! Wait until you see what the next regular Challenge is!

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

Ooh, fun. I may try to enter for the practice, I need it. Brainstorming time!
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast