Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug '17 Lite Challenge: Harpy's Silver Tongue

Default July / Aug '17 Lite Challenge: Harpy's Silver Tongue

This map and the clues should lead our adventurer to the hidden treasure of King Seth. Among the treasures is supposed to be Harpy's Silver Tongue, a relic of the gods. Harpy was a rogue, a scoundrel, but was liked wherever he went. He had an amazing power of persuasion and would have people forcing their wealth on him after listening to his confidence tricks. So impressed were they the gods turned Harpy's tongue to silver. When he died this silver tongue came into the possession of many fellows until one day it found its way into the pocket of a rogue called Gavvan who used its power to talk himself into the bed of Queen Jade the wife of King Seth. Unfortunately Gavvan being caught with his pants down, quite literally, and unable to summon the power of the tongue found himself skewered by Seth's sword. It is believed that Seth was the last person to possess the tongue. The kingdom was lost centuries ago and the tongue and Seth became legends. Nobody has known where the treasure of Seth has lain until now...

### Latest WIP ###
    Harpy.jpg

I know time is rather tight on this but I'll do me best, honest

I've started to put some mountains in just to see how they'll look.

### Latest WIP ###
    Harpy.jpg

Final update before bed. Lots more to do tomorrow.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Harpy.jpg

Great story, Map is coming along nicely. Welcome back to the challenge Straf.

Very interesting way of doing the relief. Go Straf !

Thanks Bogie

Thanks Thomas, it's something I've been working on for a while now. I'll share the method I use and maybe someone can develop it further

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Excellent start and story !

Thanks Tenia

I've done a little more:

### Latest WIP ###
    Harpy.jpg

How long have I got left? I think that latest update took me around 2 hours. Maybe an hour and a half. I get the feeling there won't be too many highland areas in this land

That's a really impressive start, Straf

IMHO if the time is limited its better to get as much of the map as possible down on the page as quickly as possible, then worry about tidying things up right at the end if there's time, but when its an entire mountain range.... not sure what to suggest, since a mountain range is either there, or it isn't.

Thanks Mouse The main high parts determine where the lowlands are and where rivers are likely to confluence Rivers may or may not feature and I don't want any of the buggers going uphill on me so I'm getting the highlands sorted before I get the rivers in, and then it's a case of putting in vegetation, roads, that sort of thing.

I've started to trace out my rivers - these are just where the water is flowing from and to, they are not going to be in the final map. There may or may not be some apparent bifurcation going on - again this won't appear in the final map. It's just that sometimes rivers are quite happily flowing along when an ice age happens and a glacier dumps a large chunk of boulder clay or something in the way so the river has to find another way to the sea. (yes I'm playing god here )

### Latest WIP ###
    Harpy.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast