Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept 17 Lite Challenge: The Village of Kandor's Crest

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Taldoz's Avatar

Map Aug/Sept 17 Lite Challenge: The Village of Kandor's Crest

Since I want to be a bit active, I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring with what little time is left! I prefer to draw my maps by hand before cleaning them up digitally to the best of my ability. Honestly, I have an issue with doing detail on my basic sketches and then getting upset when I can't replicate the detail I loved in the basic version

Anyway! I also wanted to challenge myself a bit more and do something a bit extra, so Before I even started mapping the village, I drew a perspective shot as if you were walking into/towards the village itself, to try and help inspire me as to what kind of village this would be.

My current thoughts are that this village is pretty old, probably around 150 years old or so, and was founded by 4 families; Kandor Vertix, Agatha Sholl, Ulrich Horttengur, and Zeke Toly. With Kandor being the most wealthy, his family has the most land - they have their own farm in the northwest corner - and the Mayor's title is almost a monarchical thing, passed down through his family, while the other founding families are kind of like the city council of sorts. Due to Kandor being a bit greedy, and the others being as eco-friendly as possible, they don't build individual homes for the majority of the village. Instead, there are two community housing buildings dedicated to housing as many families as possible.

Sadly, due to a family passing, I was unable to get the perspective shot fully colored to the point where I consider it "finished" but I included it nontheless because I feel it's just part of the piece
    Anyway, here's we go!

edit the second; so apparently my finalized copy is too big to attach. So.... I guess here's a focused attachment on the village itself. I'll just put in the unfinished colors as a WIP.

*Final Version*

Kandor's Crest Final.png

*** Latest Perspective WIP ***

Kandor's Perspective WIP.jpg

*** Starting Sketches ***
    Kandor Crest Map.png

Kandor Crest perspective.png
    Last edited by Taldoz; 09-13-2017 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Trying to tag correctly

Nice sketches Taldoz. Welcome to the Challenge, glad you could join us.

This definitely looks really interesting

Looking forward to the development of the idea.

Thank you both! Imma try my hardest!

Don't forget you need to tag your maps with the WIP tag so they will show in the thumbnails.

Aha! Thank you! I'd forgotten to do that ^^'

I hope I did it right

I edited your first post and inserted the tag right above the picture. remember that it only picks up one picture so if you have 2 you want people to see at voting time be sure you combine the 2 into 1 picture before you post them.

Aha! Thank you very much, my friend! I'm still getting the hang of everything around here, so I certainly appreciate the help and tips! It's extremely appreciated!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I really like the idea of drawing a "walking into the village view" to better understand the space you're creating. Looks good so far. Is that a forest growing in the top centre of the map? Forests are one of my most favourite and also distressing things to draw, I'm hoping you give me some new ideas This looks great!

I'm just hoping I can finish it on time

Thanks for the compliments, too! And kinda. I'm trying to convey a forest that has been harvested at times to construct buildings but is ultimately left alone for the most part. In my mind, this village is dedicated to farming and making money by selling farmed goods. Hence why they don't use their forest for building individual family homes, but a community housing project thing. I hate drawing forests from a top-down perspective, honestly! I never think they look *quite* right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast