Thread: Wilbur is Being Noisy

Help Wilbur is Being Noisy

Hello all, and especially Waldronate, I have a question regarding noise or tiny stippling that occurs with Wilbur during the precipiton steps:

I was going through and working on a project for a campaign setting. And ran into a lot more noise than I remember with Wilbur doing Preciipton erosion.
    So, to test things, I went and grabbed a simple tutorial piece I know worked in the past.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...2&d=1421612484
    We’re gonna make a volcano. 2048x2048, nothing crazy.
    I have screenshots of all the steps along the way…
    But… the end result which seems very noisy… I looked at the noise being generated during the percentage noise phases and didn’t see anything out of sorts.

End result is this at 2048:

step-13.png

At lower resolutions it's scarier...

Naturally, I can erode and dilate a bit, but something just seemed a bit off with this. I've tried a few different test on fractal noise seeds and am getting very rough results.

Cheers!!!

Percentage noise is uniform noise scaled by the percentage of the altitude at each point. It probably should have been percentage of the maximum height so that it would get, say 10% of the height added to each point rather than needing to figure the absolute value.

To get rid of the excess point noise, there are two obvious candidates: Filter>>Morphological>>Erode (minimum value in local area) and Filter>>Morphological>>Median (most likely value in local area). You could also go for blur, but that tends to kill the high-frequency components that you want for that kind of thing and won't fully get rid of the spikes.

There is also a bug in there that adds too much of a result for some operations. I don't recall which ones at the moment. I hope to get back around to looking at Wilbur again some year, but I have no idea when that might be.

Thanks for the quick reply and for how awesome Wilbur is in general! I wasn't sure if I tweaked a setting that I forgot and it got stuck.